Hello from Utah

eaglemtnchick

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 18, 2016
I got chickens for my family. My 9year old is there main caretaker. They are awesome! We are getting8-11 eggs per day even in the dead of winter. We have 4 black sexlink 4 brown sexlink 2 buffs,2silver Wyandotte and a buff rooster. We recently rescued a younger chicken, she looks like an australorp. She was missing her tail and had a golf ball sized hole in her back. She is healing nicely and the feathers are coming in quickly. However, she is very timid and is bullied by the girls, not badly, but enough that she cowers and stays on the opposite side of the coop from them. The rooster pretty much leaves her alone.any tips I can use to help her integrate better?

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, eaglemtnchick, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard. Sounds like you have a very successful flock!! Here's a link to an article that talks about integrating chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method You will need to be careful your established birds don't open the wound on your new chicken - that's what chickens do and it can get pretty bad. There is a product called Blue Kote that is used to keep other chickens from pecking wounds. Also, if you haven't checked the Learning Center, it's a great place to pick up vast amounts of chicken knowledge. Here's that link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Best wishes to you and your flock! Awesome that your nine year old is involved...lots of lessons and teaching responsibility!
smile.png

G’Day from down under eaglemtnchick
frow.gif
Welcome!

Redsoxs has given you some great starting points so I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Good advice from redsoxs so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

Thank you. The new little girl is healing fast. You can't see the wound without lifting the feathers. I have a nice sturdy coop 8ftwide,long, and tall. Plus a 500 sq ft run. I don't know how old she is, but guess around 12-14 weeks. We are getting a tiny egg in the mix about twice a week and wonder if she's laying.

Back
Top Bottom