Hello from Vancouver, WA!

audreydc1983

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
Hi, my name is Audrey, and I'm new to keeping chickens. I live in Vancouver, WA with my husband, dog, and 3 chickens (1 Australorp, 1, Columbian Wyandotte, and 1 buff Ameracauna). I used to have a pair of chickens (the Australorp and a RIR), but the RIR fell ill and died suddenly...on Thanksgiving, of all days. I am excited to learn more about chickens, so this doesn't happen again!
Nice to meet you all!

~Audrey

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Hi and :welcome

Aww, sorry to hear about your RIR. Good luck with your birds in the future!
I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

Thanks, all! I talked to a veterinarian friend of mine, and she said that it was likely pneumonia. It's been cold and wet out here lately...I can see how that might have happened. I checked for a stuck or broken egg, but no luck - that Tuesday, she was a normal bird, but by Thursday afternoon, she'd passed away.
sad.png

She wasn't my favorite - but at least she was relatively tame. These new birds I've got - I had to cut their wings, because they both made a break for it!
barnie.gif

I'm glad that I have an understanding neighbor, and a terrific husband that doesn't mind holding down a loud, angry chicken while I clip her flight feathers!!!
big_smile.png

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your loss!

I have two questions. Last week our one-year-old bantum hen died suddenly. The previous day she was running in the yard like normal. In the morning she was sitting still on the floor of the chicken house. I picked her up and whitish liquid came from her anal opening. She died a few hours later. Do you have any idea what happened?

We purchased 14 red ranger cornish chicks the middle of May. One has died each week. We only have 7 left now. The chick becomes lethargic, then pants for air and dies ina few days. What can I do to keep the rest alive?

Thanks, John Lemley. [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom