Hello from Virginia and re-homing rooster

crowcreek

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Hello,
my name is Barbara and I live in Barhamsville Va. I have had chickens for going on 5 years now. I have 14 hens and one rooster (I also have three horses and two dogs). Last spring I got three Barred Rock 2 day old pullets and three Amberlinks and one of the Amberlinks turned out to be a cockerel. He is 11 months now and beautiful. He is what I would call mildly aggressive. He has only gone after my feet a couple times. I am very careful with him and growl at him and face off when he does go for my feet. He backs off quickly and leaves me alone. He doesn't crow excessively and is very good with the girls. I had planned to keep him even though I didn't really want a rooster. The problem is however that I have a lot of kids that come and visit and it makes it hard for them to see the hens. No one will go in his space because they are afraid of him and he has tried to flog my dogs who share a run area with them when I have the chickens out of their enclosed run. I would really like to just re-home him at this point. I am not sure how to find a good home for him. I don't want anything bad to happen to him. Is there anyone on here interested in a free Amberlink rooster.

Hi, Barbara, and welcome to BYC. It is essential to not allow the rooster access to children. The potential for serious injury is real.
Yes I am super aware of this :). I have to get a hold of a hen and bring her out for kids to see which is not always easy. I will not even allow other adults in with him because they don't know how to be around him and he doesn't know them. Like I said he is not seriously aggressive but I don't trust anyone especially kids in with him.

Hello,
my name is Barbara and I live in Barhamsville Va. I have had chickens for going on 5 years now. I have 14 hens and one rooster (I also have three horses and two dogs). Last spring I got three Barred Rock 2 day old pullets and three Amberlinks and one of the Amberlinks turned out to be a cockerel. He is 11 months now and beautiful. He is what I would call mildly aggressive. He has only gone after my feet a couple times. I am very careful with him and growl at him and face off when he does go for my feet. He backs off quickly and leaves me alone. He doesn't crow excessively and is very good with the girls. I had planned to keep him even though I didn't really want a rooster. The problem is however that I have a lot of kids that come and visit and it makes it hard for them to see the hens. No one will go in his space because they are afraid of him and he has tried to flog my dogs who share a run area with them when I have the chickens out of their enclosed run. I would really like to just re-home him at this point. I am not sure how to find a good home for him. I don't want anything bad to happen to him. Is there anyone on here interested in a free Amberlink rooster.
If you like your roo in general, you can put him on safe using a "poultry Tie Out" when family visits are planned he won't be an issue when placed on a short leash. They are available at amazon or call your rural feed store probably cheaper anyway. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom