HELLO FROM VIRGINIA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Goodloe, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Goodloe

Goodloe New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    Fort Valley Va
    Hello guys and gals! Im new here hoping to learn some new information and give information a be an awesome part of this forum! I currently have a mixed flock rhode island reds buffs red sex links and recently added some easter eggers and barred rrock as well as some silkies ((new are peeps)) Currently they are our egg makers for us to eat and i am hoping to expand start hhatchig and hopefully turn my hobby into an income stream! Any tips i will gladley accept and welcome! Again tthank for hhavig me!

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]GREAT TO HAVE ANOTHER POULTRY LOVER!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Goodloe, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Lots of folks sell a few eggs on the side but there is a lot to think about if you decide to go that route. The biggest likely deals with legality as different states have different marketing regulations. You might post in your state thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you to see what locals know of your state's laws regarding the sale. I know somewhere on BYC there is a consolidated place where members have posted state laws on egg sales but for the life of me I can't locate it. Other members??????
    I think it's also important to remember that unless you are talking large scale, most folks that sell eggs do so just to offset feed costs - it's really not about income. I'm pretty sure I could buy my eggs in the store and be money ahead but as all of us on BYC know - that's not what it's all about. It's about the experience of raising our own food, knowing what goes into our animals, and the great taste of the product!
    In terms of tips I'd just say, don't short yourself - don't run out of eggs for your own consumption. If you are thinking it's just a dozen or two a week you'd be selling, I'd locate a neighbor as a customer. I tend to avoid farmers markets or Farmers Markets or CraigsList due to the instability of the customer base.
    I also typed "selling egg" into the BYC search box to see what would come up. You can explore some old threads in this link and see if you can glean any useful information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=selling+eggs
    Good luck and best wishes!!! [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens from a fellow Virginian! So glad you could join us, I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. Goodloe

Goodloe New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    Fort Valley Va
    I aplogize not getting back to you all sooner! Been reading up on information across BYC. So much information out is hard to take in! Not to mention in trying to learn this app! Lol. Jusy bought a 44 egg little Giant incubator with auto turner today. Going to set it give it a few days abs gather some from my mixed flock and see what kind of hatch rate i can get and go from there!

Thank you all for the responses look forward to getting to know all of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by