Hello from Virginia!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tigerlord, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Tigerlord

Tigerlord New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    Well, I got an okay from the hubby that I can indeed have some chickens but he isn't willing to help (that may change if he warms up to them). But, I am yet far from having any as we do not have a place for them yet (we should be moving this summer and if all goes well we'll get our own house). I've checked the laws and have gotten permission from the significant other though before I had gotten my hopes up.

Having chickens is something I've been thinking about for maybe a year or so now, and I recently stumbled upon a website, mypetchicken, which in turn led me here, point being that I now had access to information, which is indeed a crucial thing. Over the time I'll have to wait to be able to order my first batch of chicks, I plan on designing a coop, picking out which breeds to get and gathering information as well as making friends here.

If we do manage to get our own place this year I probably won't get ahold of any chickens until next year in the spring-winter. Below is just some information on what I'm looking for and have in mind already for those that have any helpful advice or tips.

What I want in a chicken:
    Good Egg Layer, doesn't matter the color. 4-7 eggs a week.
    Cold Hardy, summers here don't get terribly hot but winter can be quite cold.
    Confines Well, I won't be able to let them roam the yard but every once in a while as a treat I'd imagine so they should be able to keep to a run fairly well.
    Friendly Disposition, I do like to interact with my pets and would be happy if they interacted back happily

Chicken Breeds I'm considering now:
    Australorp
    Rhode Island Red
    Speckled Sussex
    Silver or Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Easter Egger
    Red Star (Comet, Red Sex Link, Etc.)

I'll probably end up posting in the coop forums while I plan out my coop.

I'm glad to have found this site and I look forward to getting to know you all better, seeing all the fantastic chickens and coops you have all built, and learning with you all.

-Tiger

2. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Hi! [​IMG]Glad you joined BYC! RIR's don't seem to be as nice. I know some are, but the ones I have had experience with have been sort of nasty.

3. k3llyVA

k3llyVA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Hello from Arlington VA- where we can't have chickens yet... but we're working on it!

Be sure to check out the "Virginia" thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" forum to meet more Virginia folks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/80/virginia

4. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Google the henderson chicken chart, it is a very good breed resource

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good choices. :thumbsup

8. Kevin565