Hello from Washington

Ashley Stroud

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
Hi everyone!
I decided to take the plunge and got some chicks this Spring! And well, the rest is history! I'm totally hooked and in love with my feathered friends! I totally admit to being a shy chicken newb lurker, but I'm excited and ready to be a member of BYC! Looking forward to making new friends and talking' chicken!

-Ashley

frow.gif
Hi back at you - glad you joined the flock. If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum you can locate and post on your state thread - or just lurk, either way is fine.
Lots of shy folks here - the internet is made for those of us.

Currently I just have 2 Barred Rock, 2 Cochin bantam frizzles, and 2 Partridge Rock roos (these boys were supposed to be hens).
i researched and felt that these easy to handle birds would be good for my first time! And they are all my lap chickens. Now though, I've got a taste of chicken keeping, I'm excited to add more! I'm currently researching English Orpintons. I love a big-butted chicken! lol
Do you have a breed your partial to?

Thanks for the tip about the Where You're From thread!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

It sounds like you have a beautiful flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining and we all love chickens here. You have a nice mixed flock. You need to either get some more hens to go with those 2 roosters or get rid of a rooster. The recommended ratio of hens to roosters is 10 hens for every 1 roosters. Too many roosters can be very hard on your hens physically, over-breeding them, biting and plucking feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially seriously injuring them. Orpington hens would be a good addition as they are a hardy, beautiful, and friendly breed. I would also highly recommend Black Australorps. I have raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while mine have never reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I have still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom