hello from wasilla, alaska

choncy77

In the Brooder
May 2, 2019
lessee, we hail from Wasilla, Alaska, and have about 24 layers right now. our flock also has four roos, two of which were SUPPOSED to be hens but I guess they didn't get the memo. the girls are a variety, including white leghorn, silver laced Wyandotte, buff orpington, ameracauna, bantam, maran, rhode island red, sexlink, and a couple others. we recently acquired 26 chicks from local breeders, and they are 2-3 weeks old. they should add beautifully to the mix, as they are different. included in the chicks are cochin (I think), white crested black polish, white crested white polish, Swedish flowers, welsommers, silkies, and some that I dont know what they are, perhaps barnyard mix. we also have a few non-chickens, aka ducks. we purchased five indian runners for laying, but the two ducks and three drakes put a crimp in my egg production (im thinking it is probably the drakes that aren't pulling their weight in that area). we have a breeding pair of Muscovy, and a pair of ring-necked pheasants. now, we are looking to add to our flock by hatching our own, starting with the indian runners, then maybe some leghorns later this spring. it promises to be very interesting for the kids to observe and learn about! we joined byc in order to learn more from other like-minded people, and so far we have not been disappointed.

lessee, we hail from Wasilla, Alaska, and have about 24 layers right now. our flock also has four roos, two of which were SUPPOSED to be hens but I guess they didn't get the memo. the girls are a variety, including white leghorn, silver laced Wyandotte, buff orpington, ameracauna, bantam, maran, rhode island red, sexlink, and a couple others. we recently acquired 26 chicks from local breeders, and they are 2-3 weeks old. they should add beautifully to the mix, as they are different. included in the chicks are cochin (I think), white crested black polish, white crested white polish, Swedish flowers, welsommers, silkies, and some that I dont know what they are, perhaps barnyard mix. we also have a few non-chickens, aka ducks. we purchased five indian runners for laying, but the two ducks and three drakes put a crimp in my egg production (im thinking it is probably the drakes that aren't pulling their weight in that area). we have a breeding pair of Muscovy, and a pair of ring-necked pheasants. now, we are looking to add to our flock by hatching our own, starting with the indian runners, then maybe some leghorns later this spring. it promises to be very interesting for the kids to observe and learn about! we joined byc in order to learn more from other like-minded people, and so far we have not been disappointed.
Welcome to BYC ...

Say hi to my brother when you see him. He is the other guy living in Wasilla.

hello-smiley.gif
Wow! You have lots of amazing breeds! Best wishes with your flock(s)!!
-byc-more-chickens.png

duck dance.gif
And ducks too!!​

Back
Top Bottom