Hello from Wayne County Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Finnbear, May 29, 2010.

1. Finnbear

Finnbear New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Greetings from Orrville, Ohio - home of Smucker's Jelly. My family keeps a backyard flock of chickens, mainly for eggs. My kids are in 4H and show some birds at our county fair. Our hens are a few Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, Ameracaunas, Brown Leghorns, Silkies, a Jersey Giant, along with a few miscellaneous bantams. We also have a bunch of 11 week old Welsummer and Golden Comet pullets that will replace some of our 3 year old birds later this summer. We also raise a batch of broilers each year for te market class at our county fair and to stock our freezer. I have been reading the forums here on and off for a year or so. Just recently I've been very interested in coming up with a better system for watering my new birds that are being raised in a moveable tractor/pen and read a bunch of posts on nipple waterers. I ordered some of the screw-in and some of the push-in nipple waterers from QC Supply and am experimenting with some bucket waterers in our main coop and also some made of PVC pipe with a 5 gallon bucket to supply them for our moveable tractor/pen. I hope to come up with a good watering solution for the tractor as I'm starting to build another larger one that will be for our batch of broiler chicks that come in July. As broilers approach butchering age they drink a LOT of water and not having to fill waterers multiple times a day would be nice.
    Mark

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG]

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] Welcome from Wayne County, PA! Let us know how those waterers work! Pictures of your set up would be great too!

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Mark! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a fellow Buckeye. I know what you mean about meat birds drinking a lot, especially when it's hot. [​IMG]

10. IsaRed

IsaRed New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Wayne County, Ohio
    Hi there! We are between Orrville and Wooster. Nice to meet you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by