Hello from West Virginia

amomwithbirds

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 6, 2013
Hi all. I am fairly new to the world of chickens. I got my first flock in April, 12 hens and a rooster. They are Rhode Island reds. I really enjoy having them. My girls have just started laying. They gave me 5 eggs in 4 days. I am hoping that number increases soon. My rooster is becoming a beautiful bird but he crows constantly from sun up to sun down and he is pretty aggressive with the girls. Besides the chickens I also have 7 dogs, 4 cats, 1 daughter and a husband that I tend to everyday. I also plan to start rising rabbits soon as well. I love my family and my little farm. It is my own little slice of heaven. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce my self and say hello. Everyone out there have a wonderful day!

Welcome! I just joined too. We have 7 barred rock chicks, a little over 4 weeks old, all ladies.
It sounds like you have a quite a little farm going, that's wonderful! We live in coastal Maine, our yard is mostly woods. Lots of trees and ledge (rock). We haven't built an outside run yet for the chicks, but we know it will have to go all the way around with wire so nothing can dig it's way into the coop. We have had red & gray squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, wild turkeys, weasels, coyotes, hawks, seagulls, owls, in and out of the yard..you never know when you look out the windows what you might see running around in the yard!
Have
frow.gif
frow.gif
fun with your chickens!

Hi everyone! I'm from West Virginia also!!! 25 acres on top of a mountain with my closest neighbor being over a mile away!! Speaking of heaven......

I'm new to chickens (have NO idea what a chook is??) and can't remember the names of all the ones I have. Started with 14 chicks but I have a couple of 4-footed friends that think it's fun to chase and eat the funny looking 2-legged things that are new out in the yard. Luckily I still have 12!

If you are wondering about my login name, then you don't have any chickens!!!
frow.gif
wee.gif

Have a wonderful, gorgeous day!!

Welcome! Wow, 25 acres on a mountain sounds beautiful! How cold does it get there during winter months? This is a wonderful resource for new chicken owners. Have fun!
wee.gif

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills. :frow

Let me give a ray of hope: your rooster is young and right now he's in his adolescent (high testosterone) stage, just like a boy in high school.... But over time he should settle down and learn to be respectful to his hens.

Usually. If not, well, there are plenty of roosters in the world. ;)

Last edited:
Usually doesn't get below 0-F but only been here one winter. Did have 3 different snowfalls of over 2'!! Don't know what the flockofnuts will be like in the winter. Have an old camper redesigned as a coop. Think it will be warm enough....got one heat lamp. Hope it's enough.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone:)
Flockanuts I take it you have just recently moved to West Virginia since you have only had one winter here. I absolutely love it here and could not think of anywhere else I would rather be. What part are you in?
Gryeyes........thanks for the advice. I figured he will calm down eventually. But like you said there are plenty of roosters in the world. And though I do enjoy my flock, I am not opposed to putting one in a pot if need be. (I hope that doesn't sound cruel)

Back
Top Bottom