1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from West Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Patuxent, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Patuxent

Patuxent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    West Virginia
    We're newbies. We started this adventure in May with free wooden pallets, scrap doors, an old window and anything else on the cheap. Then came the fun part, attending our first swap. That didn't go quite as planned, we purchased 10 chickens and 7 turned out to be roos. Not a problem, they went straight into the pot with dumplings but it's wasn't easy eating birds we knew with faces.

Moving forward, in September we attended a larger more professional swap and built our flock back up to 7 hens. Yes, they are "hens" with three laying so far, but our Plymouth Rock, head hen Maggie, took a broody break. I never would have guessed (true sceptic) that the little Silkie would be a top producer and we started getting beautiful green eggs from the Easter last week.
    [​IMG]

So this season I am thankful we are able to do this, have such a lovely flock of ladies and a wonderful forum for information. Thank you :)[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what a beautiful area!! Didja know silkies tend to go broody often, and people then use them to hatch any eggs, especially expensive fertile eggs. They don't care. Some people have silkies for that purpose alone.

3. Patuxent

Oct 4, 2013
    West Virginia

I heard they go broody a lot, but we currently have no plans for that since we ate all the roosters :woot

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Pretty coop and flowers, and the chickens are look lovely on the lawn don't they. You know you can buy fertile hatching eggs for your silkie on the BYC Buy-Sell-Trade forum, good way to get unusual breeds you can't find as chicks in your area ....

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Great picture of your backyard and coop.

6. Patuxent

Oct 4, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the warm welcome. @Kelsie2290 I think I'll just stick to this little flock for now, but good to know :cd

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by