Hello from Whitewater, WI

Raeja

Songster
5 Years
Nov 15, 2018
Whitewater, Wisconsin
Hey Guys and Gals! My name is Dawn. I own a Rhode Island Red hen named Bubbles and a Polish White hen named TopHat. I got these gals in April of 2016. My youngest daughter's boyfriend asked if he could buy a chicken and I said yes. I made the mistake of assuming they would get two. I had to pay for a second one, heat lamp, food, and so on. I would not change a thing! Boyfriend is gon but I still have my girls.
I live in a college town. A couple weeks ago, went to feed chickens and found a pile of Tophat's feathers in from of their igloo. Just recently (last friday) Don came in the house yelling she was missing. It had snowed in the early morning but she must have been stolen before the snowfall. almost 3 days later while I was trying to sleep, someone knocked on the door. Early the next morning I went to feed bubbles and she came to the front of the pen. When I brought ther feed out, I saw TopHat.
I am concerned that she is missing alot of feathers on her left wing, a little skin is showing. She is also missing a few on the right side of her neck. Do chickens get frost bite?

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like Tophat had herself a little adventure. It's amazing that she made it back. Chickens can get frostbite-- the main defense, as stated above, is a tight, dry coop. It should have ventilation holes at top, but the wind should not blow directly on your chickens. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy exploring BYC.

Hey Guys and Gals! My name is Dawn. I own a Rhode Island Red hen named Bubbles and a Polish White hen named TopHat. I got these gals in April of 2016. My youngest daughter's boyfriend asked if he could buy a chicken and I said yes. I made the mistake of assuming they would get two. I had to pay for a second one, heat lamp, food, and so on. I would not change a thing! Boyfriend is gon but I still have my girls.
I live in a college town. A couple weeks ago, went to feed chickens and found a pile of Tophat's feathers in from of their igloo. Just recently (last friday) Don came in the house yelling she was missing. It had snowed in the early morning but she must have been stolen before the snowfall. almost 3 days later while I was trying to sleep, someone knocked on the door. Early the next morning I went to feed bubbles and she came to the front of the pen. When I brought ther feed out, I saw TopHat.
I am concerned that she is missing alot of feathers on her left wing, a little skin is showing. She is also missing a few on the right side of her neck. Do chickens get frost bite?
Welcome fellow Wisconsinite. You could post picture of your hen and ask in the disease and injury forum. She should be okay and her feathers should grow back in within the next month or so. I personally trim my polish crests so they can see better. Your girl had a close call, glad she's okay.

Hello Dawn and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Tophat should be just fine. Did you look her over very closely for any injuries? If she has none she is a very lucky girl indeed. As long as she has a dry, draft free place to get out of the weather, a few missing feathers shouldn't hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom