Hello from Wisconsin! First-year flock keeper here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Solo33, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Solo33

Solo33 Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Hey all. I have read quite a few things from this site and am finally joining. A little about me ...

I live on 40 acres in northern WI with my husband, 4 kids, 1 border collie named Solo, many reptiles, and then there is the flock. Most of these aren't actually "mine," but my husband and I did put in a lot of time, effort, and money into gettiing the birds for our kids!

We have: 17 chickens. 13 were purchased first as pullets, but we ended up with 2 roosters. There are 2 black Australorp roosters, 3 black Australorp hens, 2 New Hampshire Red hens, and 6 red sex-link hens. The next 4 were purchased a few months later, and there is one of each: Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Ameraucana, and 1 bantam mottled Cochin rooster.

9 ducks. I lay claim to the Khaki Campbell and crested hens. The others belong to my son (who is @Spyderk117 ) and there are 3 mallards (1 drake), Buff, Pekin (drake), and a Rouen. My youngest daughter has a Cayuga drake.

Then the pigeons ... an red archangel that flew in one day and wouldn't leave, so she became our pet (and first bird)! We then added 4 rock pigeons from a local (and apparently well-known) loft nearby. One of those pigeons mated with our existing one, and from her we now have 4 babies of various ages. One is only a day old!

We've been at our place for 2 years now, and our future plans include a beef cow and sheep, maybe even a pig. I'm looking forward to browsing the forums and learning quite a bit on how to have a hobby farm!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Solo33, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!!! Sounds like a wonderful set up you have - and in a beautiful location. Your future expansion plans sound exciting. One word of advice on the pig...DO IT! They are such fun and so easy to care for and.....oh yeah - Yummy!!!! [​IMG] Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely mixed flock you have there :clap Wishing you the very best of luck with your future plans.
    Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - great that you have joined us. Please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes
    CT

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Your flock sounds lovely.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there and welcome to Backyard chickens! I loved your introduction, and I say GO FOR IT!! I love your plans. I hope you enjoy BYC.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Solo33

Solo33 Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Thanks, everyone! We are really enjoying the poultry life. :) I can't get over how enjoyable it is to just watch ducks, chickens, and pigeons! My third child always wanted to have chickens but we lived in town for years. Finally when we moved to the country, we were able to take the plunge and build a little poultry complex in our yard. It's great!

We actually have a pig right now, but it is being raised by my good friend. When she's butchered, she'll come home to live in the freezer. Maybe in a year or so we will raise our own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by