Hello from Wisconsin

CvilleCluckers

Hatching
Jan 16, 2016
Wisconsin
After several years hinting around about getting chickens, my wonderful wife (who has a severe bird phobia) lined up for our family to get 8 chickens and 5 ducks from a friend. She certainly deserves wife of the year award! Once I got the coop in place, I feverishly worked on setting up a feeding and watering system that would not require my wife to enter the coop if she were ever to care for them.

The heated watering system seems to work well, but I haven't seen the hens using the nipples yet (it's only been a day since I finished it up). I've removed all other water sources, so I guess they will figure it out - the ducks as well. Regarding the ducks, any advise on how to get them back to the coop. They free range during the day and my 5 y.o. daughter have to wrangle them up at dark. I currently have them with the chickens since it's been very cold (below 0), but have build a separate area for them (aka the quack shack). Once things warm up a bit, I'll transition them to their new area.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can with this new endeavor!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think if your wife started out around baby chicks and ducklings it would help alleviate her phobias. The young'uns are so adorable and gentle that they are easy to fall in love with. As they grow- she will be eased into having grown ones. I know all about phobias and she is a great lady just to allow them period. You are also a very understanding husband. I foresee this all working out well. It is so nice when the entire family gets involved.

I don't know much about ducks however, so I will suggest you post your questions about them on the "Duck thread." just put that in the search box and it will pop up, just as your state thread will, if you put "Wisconsin" in the box. You may find other fowl BCYers living near you.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.  I think if your wife started out around baby chicks and ducklings it would help alleviate her phobias.  The young'uns are so adorable and gentle that they are easy to fall in love with.  As they grow- she will be eased into having grown ones.  I know all about phobias and she is a great lady just to allow them period.  You are also a very understanding husband.  I foresee this all working out well.  It is so nice when the entire family gets involved.

I don't know much about ducks however, so I will suggest you  post your questions about them on the "Duck thread."  just put that in the search box and it will pop up,  just as your state thread will, if you put "Wisconsin" in the box.  You may find other  fowl BCYers living  near you.

X2
:welcome

Maybe you should pick each one up and make their beaks touch the nipples so that some water comes out onto them. Then they will understand this is where the water is.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How nice of your wife to get you started on your chicken and duck adventures especially as she has a bird phobia. I too was scared to death of birds but my other half and got a couple of chickens and this really helped me get over my phobia. Pretty soon the chicken obsession became mine as I grew more confident with them. I hope with your new birds your wife can over come this too, I'm sure they will grow on her.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and a warm welcome BYC- great to have you join us. Seems both our wives share the same phobia :) I guess they both deserve a medal (mine certainly does for marrying me in first place :lau).

Great coop. I got my flock to use nipples by simply tapping them with my finger, but they'll get the hang of it very quickly I'm sure.

All the best

Ct

Back
Top Bottom