1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello From Woodend Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jess287, Feb 20, 2016.

1. jess287

jess287 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Woodend Australia
    Hello everyone.
    I'm very new to the chicken world and I must say I love it. I have 5 girls ranging from about 8.5weeks to 13weeks. I have 2 Wyandottes (silver and gold) and 3 cross breeds. First is very similar to an Australorpe (all black and tint of green and almost a reddish colour), second is a Isa Brown and 3 is an Isa Brown X Australorpe by looking at her. Please forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to the exact terminology.
    We r building our own coop and am wondering Wat size should our beating boxes be??

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard! Don't worry about lack of familiarity with terminology -as long as we all understand each other, then its no sweat.

You mention "beating boxes" - I'm guessing nesting boxes? If so, the suggested minimum is 30cm * 30cm, but if you have larger breeds I'd suggest bigger.

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and welcome to Backyard chickens. BYC has a large aussie community, the more the merrier. and also a dandy thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

You are welcome to explore BYC from top to bottom. The Australian members can give you tips about what feed, medications etc are available locally for you - what breeds do best and what predators you need to guard against.

5. jess287

jess287 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Woodend Australia

Yes nesting boxes......bloody auto correct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by