Hello from Worcestershire in England

darkbrowneggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Worcester England
Hi All
I live in the heart of the country in Worcestershire England, and over the years have kept all sort of stock both animals and birds as a hobby. At present I have only birds, plus the cat and dog, but may get another couple of weaners soon to go in the old apple orchard.

I do have Rouen ducks and crested ducks, and for the first time this year I have some geese. I also have some Golden Pheasants, but my main love are my traditional English Cuckoo Marans. I first fell in love with the breed in the 1980's when I saw the beautiful eggs they laid, and I was lucky enough to buy the Champion bird from my local show The Three Counties at Malvern, from an elderly gentleman living in Bristol (since passed over) who had been breeding them since the 1930's

Over the years I have concentrated on keeping the utility value of the strain, and getting large birds which lay large eggs with good dark brown shell colour, without losing the egg laying abilities. My darkest egg layers this year have been producing 6 eggs a week each, and sometimes 7, (though they have dropped off a bit recently).

In the past I have only kept enough for myself, so my skills are more practical than technical, but since I have retired I am taking more of an interest, and reading lots on the internet hence my posting on the site.

I look forward to being part of the group:)
Sue

Welcome, Sue!
welcome-byc.gif
You will enjoy the comraderie and the knowledge shared on this forum.

I am going to Cornwall this July - I looked up where Worcestershire is. It's not too close.
sad.png
It's sounds like a wonderful little farm you have there.

frow.gif
Sue and
welcome-byc.gif
, You will love it on this site, a lot of information can be learned here. Sounds like you have a great set up. Enjoy all your animals. The Marans sound wonderful.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom