Hello! Getting our first chickens this month!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RedneckHippieChick, Sep 7, 2011.

1. RedneckHippieChick

RedneckHippieChick New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    Hi, I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself as I browse around and learn more about the site. I am a mom of 3 and we are planning on getting our first chickens this month. We are in South Florida and plan to convert our daughters old wooden playhouse (that DH built for her) into our coop. We plan to let them free range most of the day since I stay home. We are still deciding what types of chickens to get. I'm looking forward to learning more about raising chickens in the coming months.

2. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Always good to freerange!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    [​IMG] Hello from West Virginia! I would look for breeds that do well in hot weather. There is nothing more exciting than getting your first chickens! I'm excited for you! [​IMG]

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG]

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Great have fun with them. [​IMG] Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you aboard and best of luck with your new chickens!

10. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    Welcome to the BYC family!

I have heard that Naked Neck Turkens do well in the heat. I would also recomend silkies, showgirls and cochins. Mine are great with all the kids who visit the farm. If you are looking for egg layers Easter eggers are fun since they lay green eggs. Orpingtons and Barred Rocks are good layers along with Rhode Island Reds. There are so many great breeds out there! Have fun learning more about poultry! I would have never thought that the chickens would be some of my favorite animals on the farm!

Clucks,
    Sutton Heritage Farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by