Hello, getting started on my chicken coop

MancusoGirls

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2017
My daughters 10 and 12 yr's old and myself are going to start small with 4 chickens or so. I grew up taking care of chickens and other farm animals. I want my girls to experience this as well. We are building our own coop and fencing in a good size run with room to grow if we want. Hope to have a little vegetable garden as well looking forward in getting started.

Hi,

It's great that you're getting your kids to experience the real life! First off make sure you clean your coop every month, make sure each chicken has 3 square metres to itself or else bullying will occur, keep a look out for birds that aren't moving, hunched over and diarrhea, if that happens send me a message! Do you have predators near by? How big are you planning to make your coop? I recommend buying wyandottes, leghorns, Barnevelders and Sussex. If you have predators make sure you peg your wire down into the ground at least 25cm down.

Hope I can be of help,
William

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'm sure that your kids will learn a great deal and hopefully get the chicken bug.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif
It really is great for kids to experience keeping animals and growing veggies. I grew up with animals and I'm doing the same for my daughter, there is no better life for a kid. Have lots of fun, and you will find plenty helpful info and people here if you need advice on anything.

welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center. There are a ton of articles there on all sorts of topics, there's always something new to learn!

G’Day from down under MancusoGirls
frow.gif
Welcome!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom