Hello, getting started on my chicken coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MancusoGirls, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MancusoGirls

MancusoGirls Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    My daughters 10 and 12 yr's old and myself are going to start small with 4 chickens or so. I grew up taking care of chickens and other farm animals. I want my girls to experience this as well. We are building our own coop and fencing in a good size run with room to grow if we want. Hope to have a little vegetable garden as well looking forward in getting started.

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Hi,

It's great that you're getting your kids to experience the real life! First off make sure you clean your coop every month, make sure each chicken has 3 square metres to itself or else bullying will occur, keep a look out for birds that aren't moving, hunched over and diarrhea, if that happens send me a message! Do you have predators near by? How big are you planning to make your coop? I recommend buying wyandottes, leghorns, Barnevelders and Sussex. If you have predators make sure you peg your wire down into the ground at least 25cm down.

Hope I can be of help,
    William

3. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Good luck.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'm sure that your kids will learn a great deal and hopefully get the chicken bug.

Best wishes
    CT

5. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] It really is great for kids to experience keeping animals and growing veggies. I grew up with animals and I'm doing the same for my daughter, there is no better life for a kid. Have lots of fun, and you will find plenty helpful info and people here if you need advice on anything.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MancusoGirls, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I also think it is great that you are involving the kids in your venture! Best wishes! [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center. There are a ton of articles there on all sorts of topics, there's always something new to learn!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It's always great when the kids get involved. [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MancusoGirls [​IMG] Welcome!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by