Hello, Glad I Found This Forum

blitzdude

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 2, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hello all, my wife and I just purchased our first chicks yesterday. We recently moved from Texas to Pennsylvania and found a nice country home on 23.5 acres. We have several empty out buildings one of which we believe is a perfect place for a chicken coup. Property is mostly wooded but we have a bit over 4 acres of yard that should allow for plenty of free range space once the weather warms up.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, absolutely brand new. Just brought home yesterday.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We purchased 8 pullets.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Purchased a breed called Champion Pearl Eggers. Can't find much info about them online. Supposedly parent stock comes from the Czech Republic and is a 2 way cross between Partridge Male and Sussex Female. Really was hoping for some variety but everything available was straight run and these were the only pullets.
chicks.jpg

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Surely it will be the farm fresh free range eggs. Can already see my wife thinks these are her babies so I am sure they will become the most spoiled chickens in the area.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Running marathons and ultras. Gardening, canning, fishing, camping, hiking, going to auctions and buying a bunch of junk we don't need.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Just wife and I at home now. 1 daughter fully grown. We have 2 labs that I'm hoping will play nice with the chickens and protect rather than attempting to eat.
fam chicks.jpg

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Google, after some surfing around it was apparent this site has a wealth of information and hopefully will aid in these newbies to become successful chicken keepers.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

Back
Top Bottom