Hello, hello!

Kie

Chirping
Mar 5, 2020
Hello, everyone!
Of the farmers' forums I've visited and tried, I'm very excited to see that this one is still active! The others usually aren't.
An introduction:
My nickname is Kie, I'm 24, and I write. Overall, I'm currently a house-fiancee and I'm working on the plans for the future farm--the blueprints on coops, barns, a walipini, root cellar, and the animals.
I grew up on a hobby ranch--they were primarily pets and we occasionally butchered cows. I had a pet chicken for 15 years, but we never did anything with them except as pets, but I do plan on getting chickens very soon! They'll be one of the first three additions to the farm (chickens, bunnies, puppy.) In my chicken research, I've absolutely fallen in love with orpington buffs, so I hope we can get some of those!

The sample questions:
Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm new to having them in a serious way. I grew up with a rooster that was just on the property when we moved there for about 10 years, and when I was very young, my friend gave me a bunch of chicks for a birthday present. One of the chicks lived for 15 years as a cuddly pet.
How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have zero, unfortunately. We're looking to get some soon!
What breeds do you have?
We're looking at orpington buffs. I've read that they're one of the top-list dual purpose chickens (for eggs and meat,) that they're good mothers, and that they're usually pretty calm. I also love their fluffy tushies.
What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I have the nature of a farmer and my fiance has the nature of a prepper (and he loves chickens.) With everything I've read on orp. buffs, they seem like the perfect chickens for us. Eggs, meat, and friends!
What are some of your other hobbies?
I had mentioned previously that I'm a writer, so I do a lot of reading and writing. My focus is primarily horror-folklore, sometimes medieval fantasy. I do some normal things like cooking, crocheting, and painting. We both hunt, fish, and I have a taxidermy studio--I really like skulls and hope to have a small taxidermy business in the future. For the most part, it's just a hobby, but we live in a hunter-heavy area.
Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our family right now consists of a chubby senior cat, a fluffy playful cat, and an overactive, over-sized great pyrenees (he is much larger than most full-grown male pyres and he's just 18months this month.) We plan on getting on another pup when we move onto the property and later on, training another pyre for a LGD (since my boy didn't get much of a chance last year.)
How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I've read a few forums on BYC for some chicken tips and advice. I had a specific question that I couldn't quite find anywhere and find a sort-of answer in a forum here, but I figured it might be a good idea to join and get a more direct answer to my question! Then I can ask other things, and in the future, post pictures of my lovely flock and hopefully I can help someone like I've seen the wonderful members of the community help each other! :D

Back
Top Bottom