Hello, I’m a chick newbie!

JenLiz

Songster
Feb 21, 2018
Brandon, Florida
Hello everyone! My name is JenLiz and I live in Brandon FL (Tampa Bay Area) We are getting 8 chicks the second week of March and I’m super excited! I’ve been gathering all the items needed for a brooder, and we recently purchased a chicken coop for when they are old enough to transition to one. They will eventually be free ranging in a large run that my husband is building. We will have them as pets and for the eggs. We have two daughters aged 12 and 8 and both are super excited to welcome the newest members of our family. We also have a golden retriever and 2 cats. As of right now I’m not positive which breeds we will be getting (I’d like a mixture) but it depends on which ones our local feed stores will be offering when it’s time to purchase (I would buy them this minute but we are going away for a few days over Spring Break) but we are leaning towards Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Orpington, and Australorp. We visited some chicks today, so adorable! Can’t wait to embark on this new adventure!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

:welcome:jumpy
Welcome to our Flock!
You should definitely get orpingtons they are sweet and I think they would be great Pets. And Rhode Island reds are a nice little friend as well(they where my first chickens) and both lay very well. If you manage to find some easter egger hens you should definitely get Some! They are friendly chickens that lay blueish green eggs so it will make collecting eggs and Easter egg hunt!

Hello everyone! My name is JenLiz and I live in Brandon FL (Tampa Bay Area) We are getting 8 chicks the second week of March and I’m super excited! I’ve been gathering all the items needed for a brooder, and we recently purchased a chicken coop for when they are old enough to transition to one. They will eventually be free ranging in a large run that my husband is building. We will have them as pets and for the eggs. We have two daughters aged 12 and 8 and both are super excited to welcome the newest members of our family. We also have a golden retriever and 2 cats. As of right now I’m not positive which breeds we will be getting (I’d like a mixture) but it depends on which ones our local feed stores will be offering when it’s time to purchase (I would buy them this minute but we are going away for a few days over Spring Break) but we are leaning towards Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Orpington, and Australorp. We visited some chicks today, so adorable! Can’t wait to embark on this new adventure!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens great to have you join us here pretty solid
choice of birds you have in mind where is your coop coming from ? built it or having it built? roughly 4 ft of coop per bird?

Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome!

Hazelbunny - I noticed your profile says Ontario Canada. I grew up in London but married myself a Florida boy LOL

Penny1960 - We bought a coop at TSC that says it’s for 18 chickens but we are only planning on getting 8. It’s a walk-in with an attached run, but my husband is building a bigger run to add to it, 10’ x 5’ that will be completely enclosed. We have raccoons, possums, snakes and owls around here so we will make sure everything is predator-proof.

Greetings and welcome to BYC JenLiz! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Most of the prefab coops severely overstate how many birds they really should have. Typically you should plan on 4sqft/bird in the coop and 10sqft/bird in the run. You can do a little less in the run if they'll be out free ranging a lot. Just so you know, dogs are the #1 killer of small livestock... strays, the neighbor's and yours. Please introduce the chicks to your dog and make sure he/she understands they are not squeaky play toys. :)

Hope you enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom