Hello, I am a new here! Need some advice!

paramedicpuddin

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2016
Jimtown, WV
Hello, my name is Aaron. I have a small farm here in WV. I have 51 members in my flock. I have many different breeds. I have been interested in buying my own incubator for our home. I have been looking and trying to compare many out there.
I have seen that the Octagons seem to be a great choice. I think I'd prefer them over the Styrofoam types. I know how my kids can be, I am afraid that they would destroy them.
I am not sure if I should get the Octagon ECO or the Octagon Advance. I have looked through many threads, I just haven't found the clear answer that I am looking for. I want the automatic turner. The only big thing I see that is different is that the advance shows you the readings.
I watched a video on Youtube, and the lady had a ECO and added water when needed with a funnel that was connected to tubing that she slid down the vent hole.
I really want to raise our own here, so what should I do???

I have an Octagon Eco 20 and I can't say enough good about it. The only difference between this and the advanced is that the advanced shows you temperatures on the built in screen and allows you to adjust them by pushing a button. With the Eco if you need to adjust there is a small knob you use instead, but I've never had to adjust it, it is very accurate. Also the Advance allows you to set humidity, I believe, and with the Eco you need to add water on your own. It also doesn't have an alarm if the temperature fluctuates, but I've never had a problem with that. For me, the Eco is perfect and I really don't need the things that the Advance offers.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

We are glad you joined us!

I have the advance one myself, and highly recommend it. The hatch rates are excellent and it has a viewing plastic thing all around it which is great for kids seeing the babies hatch. Also i would recommend getting this one because it has the egg turner. If you manually turn the eggs each day you run a higher risk of contaminating the eggs by bacteria on your hands, if you have the egg turner it drops the chance of you dropping eggs, or contaminating the eggs. I would also recommend getting it because it shows you the readings, it saves you so much energy and time! I don't have a single complaint with it yet. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same incubator, this ones called the "Mini advance octagon" I think. I hope this helps
Once again
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hi :welcome Aaron

Glad you could join the flock! I too have the advance with humidity pump and can't say enough good things about it. It's stress free, very reliable and has produced me some fantastic results. Here is a thread with my thought on it ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1072299/brinsea-owners

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

I never incubated eggs but, it's best if you can find a stable temperature room to put the 'bator in and place it out of reach of children. They tend to open them often or take eggs out and end up dropping them. It's also best if they are not around newly hatched chicks unless they have adult supervision and sit on the floor so they won't drop them& no squeezing.

Where is the best place with the best price, to order one? I have been looking all over the internet. I think I am going with the advance model! Thank you all for your information!

Back
Top Bottom