Hello I am new to BYC. I plan to get chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jessica sapio, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Jessica sapio

Jessica sapio In the Brooder

Dec 5, 2017
    I am looking forward to getting chickens because I love birds. However I feel like it would be just too much to have chickens because I live in area with coyotes and have German shepherd dog. Any advice or encouragement or a warning to not do this would be great. I am trying to gather as much information and knowledge before I bring baby chickens home.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Jessica :frow Welcome!

Some reading material which may be helpful:

Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators
    Topic of the Week - Dogs and chickens

These are from the Topic of the Week on which you might find some other useful information. The Learning Centre is another worthwhile spot to visit.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

And, for when your chickens arrive, you might be interested in downloading this free e-book My First Year With Chickens

Best wishes for you and your flock when they arrive!

3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie TRICK OR TREAT?

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
  4. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Purrfect!

May 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Welcome Jessica! You can keep chickens safe from predators and dogs. Do not build using chicken wire. It may keep chickens in but will not keep predators out. Many people use welded wire or hardware cloth.
    Lots of great threads here on building coops and raising chickens. You can do it. Enjoy reading, lots of nice folks to chat with as well.

5. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here!

6. Jessica sapio

Jessica sapio In the Brooder

Dec 5, 2017
    I just bought chicken wire :(
    You had good advice, ill return it and get something more secure. Then you for the tip.

rjohns39, chickadoodles and 007Sean like this.
  7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jessica and a warm welcome to BYC. You have some great links from Teila, which I am sure will be of great help to you.

8. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC!:frow

9. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Jessica:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here!:)

10. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Welcome, Jessica! Strong fences make good neighbors. Your chickens can live safely alongside everything from hungry bears to ravenous snakes if you build your fences well enough. Hardware cloth, good posts, a roof, no holes, hotwire if you can. Some manage just by accepting losses, making sure doors are secure at night and running a large flock. It's cheaper but MUCH more stressful. Dogs can be trained as well, though that could take years. You can make it work if you want to. Good luck! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: