Hello !! I have new chicks and need help :-)

MiddySpeckles

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
smile.png
Hi everyone ! I just registered to this site to get a little bit of help with my beautiful chickens and new baby chicks.
I have 2 beautiful girls that are nearlly 1 year old. I bought some Silky eggs, and two of them I had to hatch under a lamp which
was very successful
smile.png
My problem is the 2 that hatched under their adopted mother I dont know what to do with now ??
sad.png

They are in a box in their coop. Hmmm do I get them out to eat or just put them on saw dust on the floor to they can walk around
and eat and drink when they want ??? I'm dont know what to do ?? Can send some-one please reply and give me some advice ?

THANKS HEAPS
big_smile.png

Hi and Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
..Silkie's are great mom's.Although in cold months If the hen's hatch them there isn't no guarantee if the hen's are not close to floor in a confined area one of the chick's wont wander from the mama.I Just lost a 3 week old bantam about a month ago my silkie hen hatched.She did wonderful with 5 babie's she hatched summer but this 2nd round she lost 2 out of 5.I got the other's up and put them in brooder.The mama's will bring them out to eat and forage naturaly.It depend's on the hen really.My first silkie hen 5 years ago raised 11 out of 12 in late Nov. of her first own egg's and only lost one chick.Hope they do ok.If the mama seem's to be leaving them I would bring in ASAP it's cold now and they will die quickly if left unattended.

Welcome! Silkies are excellent mothers. I have an 8 month old Silkie that "took under her wing so to speak" my adopted 12 1 week old babies. She really enjoyed showing them the ropes and it was a blast to watch.

Back
Top Bottom