Hello... I just adopted 22 Chickens and 1 Rooster and I have no idea what I am doing

Nest boxes are 1 per 4 hens. You'll notice that multiple hens will often want to lay their eggs in the same box. Mine will even crawl on top of a broody hen and lay their eggs in her nest. If we do let them hatch eggs, we always mark them to keep track of any eggs that are being added. We have more boxes than we need, but it gives them options. We also use carpet in some of the boxes to see if the eggs will crack less often(they move the nest material around and sometimes move too much and lay on the solid wood). They didn't want to use the carpeted ones at first, but seem to prefer them, now. Your birds are beautiful! I think it sounds like you've been doing great work with it all! We added an inexpensive solar light for them in the winter-gives them longer hours with light. They need about 14 hours of light to produce eggs. It's not necessary, but nice. Our BOs laid without it all year and so did our Barreds the 1st laying season, but completely stopped laying this past winter, so we're going to try the light this year. Whenever more questions pop up just ask!
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f414.png

Thank you so much for the information. So I am thinking maybe 8-10 boxes... In case we end up having some babies. I have been looking at the automatic doors for the chickens into the coop. I am just wondering if this will be necessary if I have a enclosed run? Meaning is it okay to have a open door for them to go into and out of all night or do you for sure want them locked inside the coop at night?

Last edited:
They won't venture outside at night, they are essentially blind and utterly defenseless at night as they can't even flee well since they can't see... If the run is secure you can skip the coop door, but either way, the door provides another line of defense... If a predator does get into and breach the run, if the door is open it's a clean shot to a chicken buffet... On the other hand if there is a door it's another barrier they will have to defeat before the chicken buffet starts...

Last edited:
A door is a must for predator and added weather protection. One search of predators and chicken coop videos convinced me of that! We only have a people-sized door right now, but we put a top and bottom lock on it. Raccoons can be especially good at simple locks. Chickens go to roost around sundown and don't stir until about sun up. We have major owl and hawk populations around here and ours don't have a covered run, so we wait until the sun has been up a bit before we open ours and go shut them in as soon as we see they're all in for the night. I do a head count every night once they're all roosting since we have so many-it's the only time I can get an accurate count! We've had one come up missing that we find dead behind the coop from a flying predator or old age or something. It's important to move the dead ones out before the other chickens start pecking at it or it attracts predators.

Oh, and I was a total bird nerd and looked up Rhode Island reds and I think that's exactly what you have-the pics I saw looked just like yours! They are a great bird!

Everyone has their preferences, Here are mine:
1) hay in next boxes
2) Pine shavings on floor of coop (light layer of shavings once a week to cover fresh poop, clean out once a month.
3) free choice grit (not in food)
4) free choice oyster/eggshell (not in food)
5) All flock or unmedicated chick feed if non layers are in flock (chicks or rooster)

Sorry for the late reply... Everyone is enjoying their new home and this has been an awesome journey for me. We have also adopted some turkeys and ducks.

Back
Top Bottom