Hello! I need help figuring out what is wrong......

Vici

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
One of our hens is sick, of that I'm certain... I just don't know what it is, so I don't know how to help her.
She's 2-3 year old barred rock. I noticed a couple weeks ago that she was walking around with her mouth open, panting, and that her comb and waddle look very, very pale pink. I tried making sure she ate, and that her crop wasn't clogged, since we had that issue before. Now, her comb and waddles are still pale, she walks sort of hunched over, squinting, and doesn't drink much. She eats, but she refuses to drink. She's lost weight, and she sneezed just a few minutes ago... That's when I decided I had to ask for help. What I tried isn't really working, and I need to help her. I know respiratory issues can kill birds fairly quickly, and I don't know how to figure out exactly what's wrong, or how to deal with it.

1st
welcome-byc.gif

2nd isolate her ASAP

Hope someone has an answer for you, but anyway welcome to BYC

Sorry your hen is off. When was she last wormed? What was used? Listen to her lungs under a wing, for wheezing or noises....... If you hear noises then you can treat with Tylan 50, 1/2 cc injected under loose skin on back/neck meet. For worming I recommend liquid Safeguard first.

Thank you for the welcome!
big_smile.png
It's an amazing site... One of our other barred rock hens just hatched chicks today... so I decided to isolate her primarily out of worry for them. I figured the little ones would be more susceptible to whatever she's got.
As far as when she was last wormed, I'm not sure. My parents handled that sort of thing while I was away at school, I believe... I'm not certain though. I'd have to ask them tomorrow. I didn't think it was gape worm, since it didn't seem to match up the symptoms all the way... When I get up in about six hours I'll listen to her breathing for any odd sounds. Thank you very much for the guidance.

Back
Top Bottom