Hello I need help indentify this breed and gender. Thanks!

Quote:
I agree, the hen in question is of the BBred variety.

Actually, I was trying to express that I believe she is of the Brown Red coloration. A Black Breasted Red hen shouldn't have any solid black, while a Brown Red hen (though not desirable) is more likely to have extra red leaking. This is even more common with birds like the Black Sex-Link, which is what I think she is. Those birds look like common hatchery quality stock.

Quote:
I agree, the hen in question is of the BBred variety.

Actually, I was trying to express that I believe she is of the Brown Red coloration. A Black Breasted Red hen shouldn't have any solid black, while a Brown Red hen (though not desirable) is more likely to have extra red leaking. This is even more common with birds like the Black Sex-Link, which is what I think she is. Those birds look like common hatchery quality stock.

Yep, I knew what you were trying to display. I view her as a BBred, due to the salmon colored breast instead of a striped breast exhibited in black red/brown red patterns. Her neck is also yellow with black striping, rather than black with red/gold striping. Her back feathers appear dark I think mostly due to lighting. If you look at them closely, they're a dark brown coloration and in the light of the feathers sticking out they appear somewhat lighter.

Some black sex-links can have a light colored breast, I'll say that. But they are more of a orange/light yellow tint than the red/brown salmon coloration she displays. They also can have hackle feathers that are somewhat light, but they still (from most of the ones I have seen even in the lightest of birds) display mostly a black coloration or a very dark orange/rusty coloration rather than the yellow. No mention the brown head, bright yellow legs (many black sex-link hens I've seen can have yellow, but tend to have a darker tint of green/black as most black fowl do) etc.

Note: I am not trying however to come off as offensive or smart alec though, I apologize if I seem that way.

Last edited:
Quote:

Yep, I knew what you were trying to display. I view her as a BBred, due to the salmon colored breast instead of a striped breast exhibited in black red/brown red patterns. Her neck is also yellow with black striping, rather than black with red/gold striping. Her back feathers appear dark I think mostly due to lighting. If you look at them closely, they're a dark brown coloration and in the light of the feathers sticking out they appear somewhat lighter.

Some black sex-links can have a light colored breast, I'll say that. But they are more of a orange/light yellow tint than the red/brown salmon coloration she displays. They also can have hackle feathers that are somewhat light, but they still (from most of the ones I have seen even in the lightest of birds) display mostly a black coloration or a very dark orange/rusty coloration rather than the yellow. No mention the brown head, bright yellow legs (many black sex-link hens I've seen can have yellow, but tend to have a darker tint of green/black as most black fowl do) etc.

Note: I am not trying however to come off as offensive or smart alec though, I apologize if I seem that way.

lol. Your not offensive at all. I do agree the coloration isn't the best for a black sex-link (not that there are really any standards), but dealing with so many B.B Red, Red Partridge, and Partridge birds that is to far off in my book to be compared to any of them. Though a photo of the back with good lighting sure would aid this discussion.

Quote:
not when they're that young
wink.png

also hens can grow spurs to

You guys are killing me with this Easter Egger (EE) " stuff " What makes you think the 2 roosters are EE's?

Picture 2 and 3 are young roosters and look to be hatchery quality Faverolles, Would like to see better pictures to be for sure.

farmerellen,
What color are the legs of the 2 roosters, are they feather footed or clean legged, How many toes per foot do they have? They both have Single Combs, correct?

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
x2 on the EE guesses. Not all bearded birds are EEs. To me they look like they could be Orloffs. The short beak makes me think they are a definite breed, not just mutts.

Quote:
Most of my pullets have that, too. Not a good indicator for sex at all.

The 2nd one by color is a boy, maybe an EE, but I would have to see better pics to make a guess on breed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom