hello I need help with my 8 week old chick.

MrMcPoopFace

Chirping
Aug 6, 2020
Southern California
So I recently got some new chickens to add to my flock, and along came an 8 week old ameracauna. Today when I went to check on them and let them out, the ameracauna decided to take a poo, and it was all liquid and red. Could this be Coccidiosis? I really hope it isn't. If it is, then what are some ways to treat it?

Its behavior is the same as always. I read that chicks will become lazy, but mine still runs around and eats/drinks a lot.

The chick has been having bloody and liquidy poop since today.

It is only my chick who has been having bloody poop

There are no signs of trauma

The chick may have gotten it from the other chicks at the seller

I have not done any treatment, as I do not know what they have.

I plan to do whatever treatment comes up from this

We use hay as our bedding and sometimes shredded paper

Last edited:
This is one of the legitimate reasons to quarantine a new chicken for a couple weeks before exposing it to the flock. If this is coccidiosis, and it sure sounds like there's an excellent chance it is, the entire flock has been exposed. Therefore, you will need to treat all the chickens.

Thankfully, treatment of the whole flock is as easy as mixing two teaspoons of Corid into a gallon of drinking water each day for five days. That your new chick is still active and not lethargic speaks well for a good outcome. I suggest you not waste any time and start treatment today.

You will want to do a follow up treatment a week after this first round.

ock is as easy as mixing two teaspoons of Corid into a gallon of drinking water each day for five days. That your new chick is still active and not lethargic speaks well for a good outcome. I suggest you not waste any time and start treatment today.
ok, where can I get Corid? So a chick can get it and not be lethargic?

At first, chickens will behave normally. As coccidia multiply inside the intestines and feed on the intestinal lining, inflammation occurs. The chicken will then start to feel a bit "off". As the inflammation progresses, bacteria colonizes the intestines, and this secondary infection is what makes a chicken truly sick. From there, the intestinal tissues begin to die, (necrotic enteritis), and the chicken will be deathly ill, and rescuing it from death at that point is not highly successful.

If you tell us what country you're from, we can tell you what product to look for. Corid is the name of the amprolium product in the US. If you live in Mongolia, it would be under a different label and name.

At first, chickens will behave normally. As coccidia multiply inside the intestines and feed on the intestinal lining, inflammation occurs. The chicken will then start to feel a bit "off". As the inflammation progresses, bacteria colonizes the intestines, and this secondary infection is what makes a chicken truly sick. From there, the intestinal tissues begin to die, (necrotic enteritis), and the chicken will be deathly ill, and rescuing it from death at that point is not highly successful.

If you tell us what country you're from, we can tell you what product to look for. Corid is the name of the amprolium product in the US. If you live in Mongolia, it would be under a different label and name.
Well I am from southern California North of San Diego if that works

This is one of the legitimate reasons to quarantine a new chicken for a couple weeks before exposing it to the flock. If this is coccidiosis, and it sure sounds like there's an excellent chance it is, the entire flock has been exposed. Therefore, you will need to treat all the chickens.

Thankfully, treatment of the whole flock is as easy as mixing two teaspoons of Corid into a gallon of drinking water each day for five days. That your new chick is still active and not lethargic speaks well for a good outcome. I suggest you not waste any time and start treatment today.

You will want to do a follow up treatment a week after this first round.
does this corid work? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Corid-9-6-Solution-16-oz/26838836

Back
Top Bottom