Hello, I'm a mad scientist :)

hkb

Chirping
Jun 29, 2019
Southern Alberta
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
-- This is the first year I've owned my own, but I spent my childhood admiring my great aunt's Plymouth rocks, RIRs, and Leghorns.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
-- Four adults, two chicks, and some hatching eggs that just got to Calgary from Newfoundland, according to Canada Post :D. I also have some coturnix quail.

(3) What breeds do you have?
-- The four adults are the remaining of 4/10 Cornish giant broiler chicks I raised (I'm having a hard time butchering the ones I named, especially Betty, omg I love Betty!). The two chicks are silkies that are growing up alongside some quail chicks because I want them to be quail-sitters when they grow up. The hatching eggs are mille fluer d'uccle.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
-- My #1 favourite thing about having chickens so far is all their little personalities. Second is how they fit into permaculture. I also love that they add beauty and interest to my backyard by turning the wasted space under my deck into a delightful little chicken run. My kids adore them. My collie gets a kick out of watching over them all day and then rounding them up at night. I like doing lay-scientist experiments, always looking for ways to make things more pleasant, beautiful, accessible, economical, sustainable, and healthier, and therefore more efficient.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
-- Permaculture, knitting, building things, lay-scientist experiments, art (drawing, painting, sculpting), reading, writing, and starting things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
-- I have a garden and a buttload of animals and my education is in environmental science.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
-- I think found BYC when I first decided to get chickens like ten years ago, and then I finally joined when I actually got the damn chickens, haha

:frowHi and welcome to the flock! Can't wait to see pics of the chickens babysitting the quail, and of the Collie herding the birds. Haha, she's a bird herder! My Sheltie knows she is supposed to do SOMETHING with the chickens but mostly she just runs wildly around them barking her fool head off and they either ignore her or flap about stupidly while I holler uselessly. It's a circus but nobody gets hurt. Even though I keep threatening to turn Gracie into soup. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom