Hello I'm a New Member

BNE Chickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Hello,

I just joing BYC my name is Billy and I'm from New Jersey. My user name is BNE Chickens because my 3 young children call their chicken farm BNE farms after their initials. My kids are ages 3-5&7 we have 6 hens since 3/23/13 and we just starting getting eggs this week. We got 2 eggs in the coop over the last 2 days and just now found a nest in our yard with 7 more eggs in it. I was wondering if the 7 are still ok to eat or is it not worth the chance. I did put them in a large bowl of Luke warm water and they did not float according to the web they are still ok to eat but I just want to make sure for my kids sake. Thank you for any help you can give me:)

Thank you I was headed that way but just wanted to be sure it's not worth it thank you:)

I've read that the egg test should be done with cold water. Eggs are completely fine for weeks (even months) without being in the fridge. So if the egg stays on the bottom of the bowl then it's perfectly fine, if it stands up on its end then it needs to get used quickly and if it floats then its bad.

And welcome to the group!

Last edited:
Thanks I used the Luke warm water because I read the water temp should be 10 degrees warmer than the egg, if its colder the egg shell pulls in bacteria from the shell pores. IDK I think I'm going to hard boil them and let my mother-in-law test them for me!!!!! Hahah

I think I'm going to hard boil them and let my mother-in-law test them for me!!!!! Hahah

OMG
lau.gif

Well I wanted to research this topic a bit more and read this blog post (I love this lady) and she says that the float test should be done to the the age of an egg NOT to tell if the egg is safe to eat. The post didn't change my personal opinion but I just wanted to share it with you.

Such a cute photo!

Last edited:
That is a great website thank you for sharing that with me. I really enjoy these chickens and I'm very proud of my kids. They are great with them and really take good care of them.

Back
Top Bottom