Hello! I'm a newbie and have question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Minihen, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Minihen

Minihen New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    So glad for this forum--got my girls last Mar so this is first winter. I have 2 barred rocks and 3 golden comets. Had a rooster named Rosie but that's another story! One of the rocks, Riley, is dropping feathers and i think she is the one not laying. (only getting 4 eggs daily) She's first in and last out of coop, but is eating. What could be the problem and how to fix? Many thanx. [​IMG]

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from north Texas [​IMG] so glad you joined us [​IMG] I think your girl is molting (molting is annual, they lose their old feathers and grow new ones) when a hen is molting she also stops laying too [​IMG]

3. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

4. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC Minihen! Like CrestedGirl said, it sounds like your hen is molting. For the past month my coop has looked like a massive pillow fight happened. Only 2 out 12 hens have been laying since the molting started, now one of those 2 are dropping feathers. Between molting, less daylight and colder weather my hens take a bit of a vacation this time of year from laying.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!
    Yes, when they start to molt they can look rather raged and sad looking! Give them a little extra protein during this time which will help bring there new feathers in a little faster. I have one hen that looks like a mess!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You can give your molting BR gamebird feed which is higher in protein than normal layer feed. It'll help with feather regrowth. Once she's feathered out, return to layer feed.

8. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Welcome!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    from Twentynine Palms, CA You'll find a lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks here who love to help!!

Sounds like molt to me too! She'll be pretty again in no time!! And laying again too!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from michigan [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by