Hello! Im fairly new at this!

peepinchicks

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
Layland, WV
In Dec my husband and i bought a house with some property. We were excited to see a few of the free range game chickens were left behind. Sadly, we have lost all our chickens to gray fox(previous owners had a dog that must've kept them at bay.) My last hen-black mama was killed. She left behind 3 one week old babies. We are raising them now. Will keep posting!

Welcome to BYC from west TN! Keep those babes safe from the fox, they will come come back for the next meal.. Then you will have to watch out for the Chicken Math. Have Fun

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Obviously if you free range, you are going to end up with no chickens. Or you can build the ft.knox of coop and runs and keep them as safe as possible. Even a dog can't watch them 24 hours a day, and it would be no match for a pack of predators. Please check out the predators threads and see what you can do to protect your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Obviously if you free range, you are going to end up with no chickens. Or you can build the ft.knox of coop and runs and keep them as safe as possible. Even a dog can't watch them 24 hours a day, and it would be no match for a pack of predators. Please check out the predators threads and see what you can do to protect your flock.

Good Advice!!

Welcome!! Hope to see you around BYC.

wee.gif

Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Sorry about your loss & best of luck raising the young ones. I free range as well but only during the day. I have a coop/run the flock is kept in at night & in cruddy weather. It is a good idea to know the predators that are in your area. My dogs do a great job keeping them ran off.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!! We are looking into building a ft knox coop that will keep predators out. We pretty much have them all in this part of WV. A responsible chicken owner should have a good coop. I would never get chickens without proper housing...but these guys lived here before we did! lol

Back
Top Bottom