Hello! I'm new here and to chickens!

Rtvallely

Hatching
Mar 8, 2015
Vancouver WA
I'm from Vancouver Washington, and pretty new to owning chickens. I don't have a very big yard so I only have a small group of 6 chickens. My Ameraucana, Buff Orpington and Silver laced Wyandotte just started laying within the last couple weeks, so exciting! I never knew chickens could be so fun to have. I love them to death, they are so fun, so much personality in each one. My kids love them and the chickens love them too. I haven't had too many concerns, except just today, my Ameracana laid her second egg, with it was a really small amount of blood on the egg. Is this normal? An hour after she laid I saw her squat and pee a lot, and it wasn't accompanied by poop. Is there something wrong? Her behavior is normal and she's as active as ever.

Excited to go through all this information on BYC, love it, its very helpful. Love to see all the many different and beautiful chickens on here as well!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It's not unusual to find some blood on pullet eggs when they start laying. It usually doesn't mean anything really. Just keep an eye on her, and you might check her vent. Chickens don't pee as such, the whitish colored portion of their droppings are solid urates. They will sometimes have watery droppings, especially if they are hot/active and have been drinking a lot.

Welcome to BYC!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I agree with Kelsie2290 !

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Congratulations on your first eggs! It sounds like you have some lovely hens.

Back
Top Bottom