Hello, I'm New Here-- Keeping Bobwhite Quail

jmkeller01

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
Hello, all,

I'm new to the group-- and new to keeping birds. My husband and I had long discussed keeping chickens,
when a male Bobwhite Quail, Oliver, started hanging out in our yard. We got a female, Lisa, for him and now
have a mated pair. They are kept, for the moment, in an old rabbit hutch, and my husband is building a
flight pen for them, which will hopefully be done by the end of this week. We have a problem with eggs being
eaten, despite feeding them the highest protein game bird feed I can find (Nutrena, 21% protein). They also
get regular treats (watermelon, strawberries, dried meal worms, blueberries, raspberries, squash), and always
have access to fresh water, grit, a dust bath and a cuttlebone. Any recommendations for this newbie appreciated!

Hello, all,

I'm new to the group-- and new to keeping birds. My husband and I had long discussed keeping chickens,
when a male Bobwhite Quail, Oliver, started hanging out in our yard. We got a female, Lisa, for him and now
have a mated pair. They are kept, for the moment, in an old rabbit hutch, and my husband is building a
flight pen for them, which will hopefully be done by the end of this week. We have a problem with eggs being
eaten, despite feeding them the highest protein game bird feed I can find (Nutrena, 21% protein). They also
get regular treats (watermelon, strawberries, dried meal worms, blueberries, raspberries, squash), and always
have access to fresh water, grit, a dust bath and a cuttlebone. Any recommendations for this newbie appreciated!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom