Hello, I'm New Here

Bulletproof Roo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
North Central Florida
Happy to be aboard.

I've had a small backyard, free ranging (though locked up at night), flock for eggs for about three years now. Looking forward to posting and reading here.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from ohio, look forward to reading your posts!

Welcome, Bulletproof Roo! It's my first year with chickens and I have learned so much on this website. It's truly an information gold mine! Enjoy!
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
hope a bullet proof rooster is also predator proof - they don't carry guns
gig.gif
There's a story behind that screen name. I never intended to have a rooster, but my neighbor across the street maintains a 100% contained/enclosed flock of hens (they only have access to a very small run during the day) and had two roosters in there with them. Well, one day this past spring I see a beautiful Australorp rooster run across the street from his property over to mine. He ran onto my yard and found a bush to hide in. Then came the man who owns that property (and this rooster) out from behind his house looking around for the rooster. I asked him if he was looking for a rooster. He said yes, he had just shot him with a .22 after removing him from his enclosure, as he had decided he didn't want two roosters constantly fighting each other. He told me that after shooting him, he dropped dead to the ground motionless, so he went to get a shovel with which to bury him. When he returned with the shovel the rooster was gone. I told him where the rooster was hiding and also that, had he asked me, I would have taken him, as I don't have a rooster. He then offered me this wounded rooster if I wanted him. I turned him down because I didn't want a rooster that was likely going to die from a bullet wound. So he went back inside and left the rooster in my bushes.

Eventually it became clear that the rooster wasn't going to die from the bullet wound, and in fact seemed perfectly fine, other than being unable to use one of his wings. He must have just "winged" him. So I coaxed him into my yard with scratch, then closed the gate. Not being able to fly, he was pretty well captured. Then I used the same method to coax him into my back pasture, then closed that gate too. Now he was with my flock of free range, pastured, hens. He couldn't have been happier to be there with a whole flock of hens of his own, and no second rooster to quarrel with. It took about three days for him to figure out where the hens went at dusk (they put themselves to roost in their hen house where I would then lock them up), but when he figured it out, he followed them in and that was that. He knew the routine and fit in perfectly, sleeping with them on the roost at night in the hen house. I have two (three day old) chicks by him, now.

He's a perfect gentleman with the hens, and the two youngest among them (less than a year old) follow him around most of the day like his own personal fan club. He also doesn't permit fighting among the hens, and punishes bullying behavior (which was a constant occurrence before he arrived), not to mention keeping a constant watch for hawks and such. He's a great addition.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom