Hello, I'm Sadie from Ireland!

2-acre-zoo

Songster
13 Years
Jul 1, 2010
I have an account here for a long time now but I can't honestly remember if I ever introduced myself, so hello everybody! Certainly haven't posted in at least 6 or 7 years. Since last posting, I have actually sold 4 of the 6 acres so I'd better change my username ASAP!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have kept chickens for about 15 years, I think.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We're at an all time low of 2 laying hens but I let one of them hatch eggs this summer after she had got broody for the 3rd time in 2 months. She hatched 4 out of 6. I'm only definite on one of them being a pullet. One is for sure a cockerel. The other 2 are in doubt. They're about 4 weeks old.

(3) What breeds do you have?

The layers are both red. The chicks are an unholy mixture of all sorts, and I got the eggs from my next door neighbours flock. There's even some strains in there of hens I used to have years ago when I kept Jersey Giants, Bahamas, Silkies, Marans..... It's all in the mix as we've swapped eggs and roosters back and forth over the years!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The eggs, the comedy value, the tourist value (I also run a guest house)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Ok, as said, I have a very successful tiny Airbnb which used to be a cowshed. It's been up and running for a year and I absolutely love it. Meeting people from all over the world and sharing my garden and the beautiful area I live in has been a really good move for me. I'm not a fan of Airbnbs that should be family homes, but this is a former shed in my yard and brings visitors who spend locally in the tiny village.

I have been a sculptor on and off all my adult life but rarely get time for it now. My favourite hobby WAS building drystone walls but at 51, I'm not really able anymore (and I sold my tractor).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a carer for my adult autistic (youngest) son, and my eldest son also lives here at home until he can find a place in a nearby city (we have a massive housing crisis here, not helped by the aforementioned Airbnbs). My youngest is obsessed with cats and they really help him with his mood, so we have SEVEN. All rescues, all neutered, all spoiled rotten. I have a daft Springer/Lab called Nellie who is my antidote to the cats.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I think I found BYC within a week of buying my first pullets! Over the years (even when I had 30+ hens, it was still my go-to site for excellent advice, although I was only lurking and searching for threads this last long while.

I'm back for the chats because it's been quite some time since chicks were raised here and I've found myself with questions about IDing males & females, chick crumb, etc. I'm unsure whether to keep a rooster again as with guests trying to get a lie in on their holidays, that might be a bit disruptive. Also, I am convinced that despite having had some fine noble and protective roosters over the years, they actually ATTRACT foxes with all the shouting at the roosters next door. We'll see. I'll think about it.

Right, that's a long intro. Sorry! I'll be around and about the odd time. All the best for now, Sadie

Hello and Welcome, Sadie! Guest House, Sculpting, Chickens, and special needs family care must make you a very busy person. And if you need to put your feet up at any point and let someone else take care of things for an hour or two, I hope there is someone that can do that for you. I could send my clone, it might be appropriate!

I give you all my very best!

Back
Top Bottom