Hello, is root killer in my septic tank safe for backyard chickens?

I don't think it will bother your chickens as long as it's fairly dry where you are. Here it is wet and been flooding and the chemicals could seep up out of the ground from the water table being so high, but that may be a long shot too.

Is the leech field standing water?
If you put any root killer in your septic tank and they can drink it, it can hurt them. If the field is dry they'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

Even if I knew which product it was I wouldn't know. My suggestion is to contact the manufacturer and ask them. I'm not sure what country you are located in but in the US and most other countries they should have had to do research on the effects on the environment. That should include effects on wildlife, including birds.

So I think my title says it. If I put root killer in my septic tank to help the drainage field not get overwhelmed/overgrown, is that unsafe my for girls? Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
We use a septic tank system here; three stage filtration with the outlet feeding a flood gully.
In general it is good policy to fence off the flood area. Even if the root killer is considered safe.
Most of the household cleaners get tipped down the sinks and toilets. You can get the outlet tested and the water graded.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts. I do not know exactly which product, there are several root killer products. I think ZEP is popular in this area. My leech field does not have standing water. I think I will see which product I may use can then contact the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom