Hello - Just joined

Lpkam1

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
My husband finally said ok to getting chickens during Covid last year. He said it was
8FF57363-D299-4619-A2C1-E85CC22BB8F2.jpeg
because he gets afraid when I do not have a project. I am a nurse and he is retired from IT. We have two grown sons, one daughter-in-law, an older pug, and a cavapoo. We live in the city and are allowed 10 chicks and one rooster. We have 6, and being nice to our neighbors, no rooster. We have 2 each of buff orpingtons (so sweet) two lace Wyandotte and 2 that were to be blue Easter eggers but no blue eggs soooo?
I found this website looking for advise after a hawk attacked our chickens. No deaths. I also found 4” tunnels under my pavers that goes all around the chicken run and coop. One rat ran out when I pulled up a paver to fill it with stones.
My husband admits he really enjoys the chickens and they do have their own personality. Listening to their cooing is very peaceful. The dogs don’t pay any attention to them. After the cavapoo went into the pen and all six ran up to her surrounding her, she decided to leave them alone. It was funny, once they were grown, she was no longer bigger than them.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Nice setup.
I would pull up the all the pavers and install a 2' wide predator apron made of 1/2" hardware cloth all the way around the set up. Attach it to the base of the coop/run with heavy duty poultry staples or screws with fender washers and pin down the outer edge with HD landscape pins. The grass will grow through the HC. You can then put the pavers back but I would personally not do that. This will prevent mice/rats and anything else that likes to dig in from being able to do so.
predator apron.jpg

I think it's amazing that your city will allow roosters! I personally have three and LOVE listening to them crow! They don't do it that often and I've never been woken by them crowing.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC. You have a lovely coop & run!
You may want to put a 2 foot apron of hardware cloth all around the base. That should help keep rats and other diggers out.
Playing a radio during the day can help discourage hawks, but you will still have to keep an eye out. I'd love to see pictures of your dogs. I had to Google "cavapoo" lol.
I've found the best thing about having a rooster, other than hatching my own eggs, is that they sound an alarm when there is danger about. It gives their hens time to run for cover. I understand not having one though, they do tend to wake us up early.
Good luck with your flock!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Nice setup.
I would pull up the all the pavers and install a 2' wide predator apron made of 1/2" hardware cloth all the way around the set up. Attach it to the base of the coop/run with heavy duty poultry staples or screws with fender washers and pin down the outer edge with HD landscape pins. The grass will grow through the HC. You can then put the pavers back but I would personally not do that. This will prevent mice/rats and anything else that likes to dig in from being able to do so.
View attachment 2976535
I think it's amazing that your city will allow roosters! I personally have three and LOVE listening to them crow! They don't do it that often and I've never been woken by them crowing.

I had 12” hardware down under the pavers and just started putting the 2’ down when it started to snow. I am thinking of covering the whole bottom inside the run but it has to get warmer first. I will also have to move all the litter too. I use the deep litter method and it is great. My husband loves when I clean it out, 1-2 x a year, for his garden.

I am thinking of covering the whole bottom inside the run but it has to get warmer first.
I wouldn't do that. Chickens dig. A LOT. Hitting the HC will injure their nails and feet. The apron is the way to go.
The reason why it is recommended to not use the pavers is that the digging animal will just start digging at the outside edge of the paver. Your pavers look to be 12" wide so the 12" apron you put down is useless.
If you put down a 2' apron and nothing on top and let the grass grow through, the digger will try to start digging right at the edge of the framing and immediately hit the apron.

Back
Top Bottom