Hello! Looking into starting to raise chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by b00ph3tt3, Feb 18, 2013.

1. b00ph3tt3

b00ph3tt3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi everyone!

We're in Central Texas, but did not originally come from this great state. My husband and I are interested in getting some chickens for our back yard. We found a nice coop we like for a good price, and are now trying to find out more about the breeds--really, just for eggs and friendliness. We are looking into perhaps getting some Barred Rocks, Americaunas, or Brahmas.

We also have a young daughter (under a year old) and some dogs (that live in the house, not the yard), so we are trying to figure out a way to get everyone to co-exist. :) We are excited to get this started and have already found a lot of great information on this site!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hello and welcome to BYC!! I also, have a flcok jsut for fun: Friendliness and eggs. Those are all great breeds.For friendliness-my easter eggers are the friendliest lil things and fun colored eggs. BR and LBrahmas are sweet girls too. Another fun, cute breed are cochins....I have only bantys so far but am planning on adding the LF Cochins this year....so not sure on egg laying with these. Orpingtons are another gentle breed that come in lots of fun colors and very docile with large eggs. Good luck!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! BYC is a great place to learn about everything chicken. You can check out the Breeds thread below to aid in your search. You might want to consider breeds that do well in the Texas heat. Good luck to you and have fun!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Welcome a board.. This is a great site for info for sure.
    Look into australorps they are excellent layers and so friendly. I have ober 100 birds and all of them are my pets as well as egg machines lol. They all have names and are spoiled. I love my bantams for friendliness. They lay small eggs so it would take 2 of their eggs to make one normal egg.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. b00ph3tt3

b00ph3tt3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I also appreciate the suggestions. We definitely have HOT summers here, so any tips on birds who do well in the warmer weather with minimal winters is great, too! It's hard to find information on it and how the different breeds would do interacting with each other. Would they probably be okay if we got them at the same time and raised them from fairly small chicks?

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. Best wishes that everyone gets along when you finally get your chicks home.

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I have always had good luck with mine getting along just fine if they are raised together from a young age. The only trouble I have had is multiple roosters not getting along altho others keep mulitple rooster together with no problems :) Hope that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by