Hello, my first chick!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by [email protected], Jun 5, 2011.

1. Scylla@aol.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    So a chicken wandered into my backyard today.... No really. It's not a joke. A chicken really did wander into my yard today, in Brooklyn, NY. This is rare enough to be the source of jokes for the rest of the day. I've been aware of this site for a while, quietly reading and debating whether I had time for chickens. I guess the chicken god had other plans because an adorable little black chick wandered into my yard this afternoon. He seems very friendly, or at least without fear. His feathers are sily soft and fluffy. I've put him in a rabbit pen, with a bowl of water and another bowl of wild bird seed. I see that I'm going to have to find poop proof feeders. I've been reviewing the lists of foods and he's going to get a variety of fresh fruits and veggies, along with my parrot. I'll get him some mealworms too I'm going to have to find a staple to keep in his dish (like my parrot has a bowl of parrot mix always available). Is there a dry grain/seed kind of food that chickens eat? So I'm deciding if I'll be keeping him or finding him a beter home. And if I do keep him, maybe I'll get him a friend. I'm hoping he's a SHE because I want eggs!

Regards,

Kathy

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Cool! [​IMG] from Oklahoma! [​IMG]

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG]

4. I'm1chickencuddler

I'm1chickencuddler Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I am new too...get a good quality chicken starter feed. Keep the chick warm and keep it. The chicken gods had plans for you!!! Good luck!

5. Scylla@aol.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    This little guy cheeps like crazy when I put him down and leave him. I'm bonding! I want to take him inside for the night. He's alone and it's going to be cool in the 60's. Is it OK to leave him outside overnight? At first he was just a chicken, now he's my little chickie! What about the winter?? Oh my. There's a whole set of problems. A house chicken?

Kathy

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Firstly - [​IMG]

Secondly - photos of your new chick please!

Thirdly, what an amaaaazing story. How sweet! Chickie does need to come in at night until you buy him/her a companion. I hope it's not a roo - but those noise problems can be sorted out.

That's so sweet you've bonded.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for updates on your story of your funny little intrepid chicken.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. What a cool way to get your first chicken [​IMG] Great advice given. Good luck [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La.

9. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas.
    You know, people make and sell chicken diapers on here for house chickens. [​IMG]

10. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by