Hello! My intro!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lemuckley_flock, Mar 14, 2011.

1. lemuckley_flock

lemuckley_flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello everyone! We're so excited to have found this forum! My boyfriend/partner/whatever you call someone you're committed to but not married to have recently found ourselves desiring chickens, and got ourselves 8 little gals about two weeks ago. We live in Tennessee and are enjoying the warming weather, and thought chickens would be a fabulous addition to our "homestead" in the making. We're both divorced and came to the table with three children each - our kids are 12, 10, 7, 6, 5, and 2. I grew up on a dairy farm in NW Illinois, so chickens are old hat to me. We wanted to instill basic values and responsibility in our children, and they're going to be heavily involved in their care - along with helping with our 1/4 acre garden that we're about halfway done planting.

We have a mix of breeds, and aren't quite sure what they are yet. As of right now, no roosters....eventually though, we'll want to hatch our own eggs - getting our feet wet with these girls. We're shocked and so pleased to have all eight of them still alive and thriving - I'd forgotten how quickly they grow! We've got them in the house right now but built our coop/chicken tractor over the weekend, and the kids had a blast helping build and paint it. We're on an acre, which can be wonderful, but because of the amount of room we have available I'm going to have to work VERY hard to keep us in check, or we're going to end up with dozens of chickens and other livestock, lol!

Looking forward to meeting folks here and soaking in all of the information from all of your combined experience!!

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY

3. sk acres

sk acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Marana, AZ
    [​IMG] from AZ.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] ! Glad you decided to join us!

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    [​IMG] from Ky. At some point chicken math will become a factor.

good luck with the new chicks Dan

6. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    [​IMG]

welcome from minnesota!

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas and watch that the chicken math bug doesn't bite you. [​IMG]

8. lemuckley_flock

lemuckley_flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! Showing my ignorance here.....but what is chicken math? [​IMG]

9. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hello from Indiana

You and your other half are starting out the same way me and DH did.

So glad you coulc join us.

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

hope you are enjoying BYC,

Ema

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by