Hello :) need advice on this “tissue”?? That came out with my ducks poo..

CHinsz

Chirping
Mar 16, 2022
I’m reaching out to people who may be able to help/offer advice.

My little Runner (Hazel - the one I rescued from that farm this summer). She healed up amazing 💗

However the past few days started limping so I brought her inside 4 days ago to stay in a kennel with daily swim time.

No bumble or anything really that I can find. One hock is slightly swollen but honestly.. not much at all.

She is eating, drinking normally.

She hangs out her sore leg behind her… haven’t seen much improvement in 4 days.

This morning in the tub, her stool has blood in it. I’m not sure what would have caused it. Pretty sure she didn’t get poisoned as she is my “laziest” duck. Lays a lot. In the yard & coop. (I believe her legs were severely injured by over mating before I got her. ) she has always walked “differently”.

Might u have any ideas??

I’ll post photos of the bloody “tissue”. One end of it is clear. So odd… she is otherwise happy minus the leg. 💗

And one cute photo because she’s adorable. She cuddles & sleeps on me for half hour after swim time each day 💕

Attachments

• 655355C2-8354-4ADC-85A0-7AE6DD8256AE.jpeg
    655355C2-8354-4ADC-85A0-7AE6DD8256AE.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 11
  • CF557E56-9881-41E8-890E-DAEFC9E3189B.jpeg
    CF557E56-9881-41E8-890E-DAEFC9E3189B.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2
  • BE350CD9-741E-428D-BD18-1590C4D54225.jpeg
    BE350CD9-741E-428D-BD18-1590C4D54225.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2C6177EE-184F-4235-A43D-F87C34577FF8.jpeg
    2C6177EE-184F-4235-A43D-F87C34577FF8.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 4
I’m reaching out to people who may be able to help/offer advice.

My little Runner (Hazel - the one I rescued from that farm this summer). She healed up amazing 💗

However the past few days started limping so I brought her inside 4 days ago to stay in a kennel with daily swim time.

No bumble or anything really that I can find. One hock is slightly swollen but honestly.. not much at all.

She is eating, drinking normally.

She hangs out her sore leg behind her… haven’t seen much improvement in 4 days.

This morning in the tub, her stool has blood in it. I’m not sure what would have caused it. Pretty sure she didn’t get poisoned as she is my “laziest” duck. Lays a lot. In the yard & coop. (I believe her legs were severely injured by over mating before I got her. ) she has always walked “differently”.

Might u have any ideas??

I’ll post photos of the bloody “tissue”. One end of it is clear. So odd… she is otherwise happy minus the leg. 💗

And one cute photo because she’s adorable. She cuddles & sleeps on me for half hour after swim time each day 💕
I should also say - I gave her Vit B complex & also brewers yeast in her feed …

I've been dealing with some issues and diarrhea with my hens this week, so I spent several hours doing research and what you have to me appears to be coccidiosis infection. Check this website from the chicken chick....Your stool in her article looks just like it.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Only way to tell is to take your specimen to your local vet and have them run a fecal float test. That's what I did. It cost $35, but was very helpful in narrowing down the cause. Once the cause is identified, the vet can order a SAFE treatment for you. Beware, there are tons of advice on the internet from well intentioned folks, but I refer to my vet in cases like this. It's worth the peace of mind. Coccidiosis is prevalent now from what I've read due to the very damp, warm fall we had thus far in regions and is affecting foul in a terrible way. Good luck!

I am no expert, but to me, it looks like a reproductive problem. You know when they lay a soft-shelled egg sometimes there is a little "thing" that is hanging off the egg because it didn't close all the way before it was laid? Actually, I think I've had some on eggs that were not totally soft too.

If you can take her to a vet, which I know nobody wants to hear, that would be the best thing to do. They would probably x-ray her and might be able to see if something is messed up inside like a stuck egg? Does she lay regularly?

I am no expert, but to me, it looks like a reproductive problem. You know when they lay a soft-shelled egg sometimes there is a little "thing" that is hanging off the egg because it didn't close all the way before it was laid? Actually, I think I've had some on eggs that were not totally soft too.

If you can take her to a vet, which I know nobody wants to hear, that would be the best thing to do. They would probably x-ray her and might be able to see if something is messed up inside like a stuck egg? Does she lay regularly?
I'd take her to the vet too. At least she could start with a fecal float test. Coccidiosis is prevalent right now due to the warm wet fall weather in many parts. There's a lot of advice out there, not all of it safe in my opinion.

Hi All! U guys are awesome for offering help and advice! Thank u!!!

I reached out to several rescues re: Hazel.

We aren’t concerned about infection of any kind right now… sounds like it could be intestinal wall shedding (normal but scary to see!!) I have seen no more since, no worms, mites, lice etc. she’s eating up a storm. Vent feels soft.

I’ve given her vitamins etc to boost her system.

I am to watch her carefully. … she hasn’t laid an egg with me (July/August I brought her home I believe). Her molt took forever to finish!! Perhaps her body is preparing to lay ….

Thank u everyone for your input! I’m so grateful for this space to ask questions. 💗

I hadn’t seen much improvement in the leg until last night. She finally toe-touched it down.

But!!! This morn she is swimming like a maniac in My tub. Making a huge mess everywhere. :) and finally spreading her webbing open on that foot and used the leg a bit to swim!!!!! She even used it to scratch her face. :) I’m so thankful. I was getting concerned it may be a long road …

Back
Top Bottom