Hello! New at this!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by karrowsmith, Sep 22, 2014.

1. karrowsmith

karrowsmith Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    Hello. My name is Kelly. I just got into chickens and ducks this easter. 2 buff orpington, one easter egger, & 2 ducks. I just recently go rid of my Roo, I am in this for the eggs. Anyhow I am confused on my biggest buff. His/her name is Skinny Finny. S/HE used to be a lot smaller when Roo was around. Skinny looks like a boy, mounts like a boy but never ever ever crows. Hmmmm[​IMG] Thoughts on what this silent rooster maybe?[​IMG] Skinny Finny's Fanny is on the right. He looks complete different than Charlie, who i know is a hen.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry but, I can't really make out much in your photos. How old is Skinny Finny in the pictures? I enlarged the photos and still don't see anything clearly. Females can and do mount other females, it's a sign of dominance in an alpha hen.

Sometimes when there is no roo around, the alpha hen will take over his job and even crow. I don't think this is happening.

3. karrowsmith

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Skinny Finny is trying to mount your hen and is showing pointed saddle feathers because Skinny Finny is a male. Sorry. :eek:( The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens, so maybe you can get some more hens to go with Skinny Finny. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes it is possible she is he. How old is Skinny Finny? I can see some pointy saddle feathers in the pics, but it is a bit hard to see from here. You have a pretty flock however. :)

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, looks like Skinny Finny has roo saddle feathers.

7. karrowsmith

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
    I would be more convinced if Finny would crow at something. Lol! 95% of me thinks it he is a roo, but I wish he was a she. I knew turning to the BYC community would get me my answer. Finny is just under 7 months.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  9. karrowsmith

Aug 4, 2014
    Green Valley, Il
  10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge