Hello! New at this!

karrowsmith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Green Valley, Il
Hello. My name is Kelly. I just got into chickens and ducks this easter. 2 buff orpington, one easter egger, & 2 ducks. I just recently go rid of my Roo, I am in this for the eggs. Anyhow I am confused on my biggest buff. His/her name is Skinny Finny. S/HE used to be a lot smaller when Roo was around. Skinny looks like a boy, mounts like a boy but never ever ever crows. Hmmmm
Thoughts on what this silent rooster maybe?
Skinny Finny's Fanny is on the right. He looks complete different than Charlie, who i know is a hen.

Sorry but, I can't really make out much in your photos. How old is Skinny Finny in the pictures? I enlarged the photos and still don't see anything clearly. Females can and do mount other females, it's a sign of dominance in an alpha hen.

Sometimes when there is no roo around, the alpha hen will take over his job and even crow. I don't think this is happening.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Skinny Finny is trying to mount your hen and is showing pointed saddle feathers because Skinny Finny is a male. Sorry. :eek:( The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens, so maybe you can get some more hens to go with Skinny Finny. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes it is possible she is he. How old is Skinny Finny? I can see some pointy saddle feathers in the pics, but it is a bit hard to see from here. You have a pretty flock however. :)

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, looks like Skinny Finny has roo saddle feathers.

I would be more convinced if Finny would crow at something. Lol! 95% of me thinks it he is a roo, but I wish he was a she. I knew turning to the BYC community would get me my answer. Finny is just under 7 months.

Back
Top Bottom