Hello! New chicken/duckling parent~

SchmidtChicks

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Qld, Australia
Hey All-

I am Cassie and I live in Australia. I am proud to own 2 chickens by surprise. My partner brought home a chick after a few drinks with a mate end of December, and I decided to get her/him a companion start of January. Initially I got 2 extras, but gave one to another friend with a lone bub.

They are now near 5 months, Dinky (Black Unknown) and Ducky (Splash Orphington). We assumed both Pullets, but thats another story hahah.

We are also, this week, getting 4 x 2wk old Muscovy Ducks, which will be a new adventure all together.

Here are our girls(?) - they get free range of 5 acres (they only utilize 1acre around our home max by choice) and are crated by night indoors.

*excuse the mess as we collect bottles / cans for refunds as a small hobby heh.

20200405_114159.jpg
20200405_114435.jpg
20200405_114505.jpg

Hello, Cassie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Good, unobstructed full profile photos of them will make it easy to determine gender at 5 months.

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow (currently 9:21PM). I've joined a FB Group also and the verdict so far is one Cockeral one Pullet.

I did start a post for the breed and gender of the black so fingers crossd something comes of it. If indeed one of each it will be a surprise what they produce as we're attached to both and couldn't split them.

Thank you everyone for the kind welcoming also 🥰

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow (currently 9:21PM). I've joined a FB Group also and the verdict so far is one Cockeral one Pullet.

I did start a post for the breed and gender of the black so fingers crossd something comes of it. If indeed one of each it will be a surprise what they produce as we're attached to both and couldn't split them.

Thank you everyone for the kind welcoming also 🥰
The black/rust is definitely a cockerel. The pointed saddle feathers are specific to males.
The Orpington may be a cockerel. I can't see the saddle feathers well on your other post. Just look to see of the saddle feathers are pointed or rounded.
Below you can see the blue line pointing to the pointed male saddle feathers and the pink line pointing to the rounded female saddle feathers.
male female specific feathering.jpg

Back
Top Bottom