Hello, new chicken owner

Thank you for rescuing the girls!
If you have a feather picker, i recomend pinless peepers.
I rescued 6 production hens a coulpe years ago and one was a feather picker. After she wore the glasses for 6 weeks i took them off and she had forgot about the habbit.
Good luck and welcome to the backyard!
20181124_175527.jpg

Welcome to BYC! It’s a wonderful thing you’ve done rescuing those hens and giving them a new home. I wish all abused livestock could escape to a caring environment like yours have.

That’s so kind of you to say. The way birds are kept in the UK is pretty awful. Even the free range hens don’t seem to have the life the name suggests. Just wish I could have rescued more. 3 for now anyway.... 😆

Thank you for rescuing the girls!
If you have a feather picker, i recomend pinless peepers.
I rescued 6 production hens a coulpe years ago and one was a feather picker. After she wore the glasses for 6 weeks i took them off and she had forgot about the habbit.
Good luck and welcome to the backyard!
View attachment 2037586
Oh gosh, I hadn’t heard of those, thank you for the recommendation.

At the moment I think the anti peck spray has helped a little so I might try it for a bit longer.

I’ve also started playing calming classical music for them a couple of hours in the day (I have become crazy chicken & cat lady!). It’s really quite remarkable how this chills them all out, especially top hen, Martha.

I sat with them in their run for a couple of hours today playing the music & they all started purring like a cat, so I think they were happy 😊

Martha even came & sat on my lap & went to sleep. She normally doesn’t like to be a lap hen so I was surprised & over joyed when she did this. It was a very special milestone in our relationship!

I love all animals, so knew I’d love the girls, but I don’t think I was fully prepared for quite how much they’d steal my heart.

Back
Top Bottom