Hello!! New Member from NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WannabeChickenOwner, Nov 9, 2010.

1. WannabeChickenOwner

WannabeChickenOwner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Ok, well I am 13 and I really want to raise chickens with my family, but they aren't that interested... I think it would be fun and I really like chickens. I got a book from the library on raising chickens and I am looking in the book and I don't understand much of what some of the words mean... for example molting. Could someone give me some other resources on raising chickens. I think I need ALOT of help

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    welcome and good luck convincing your parents! I haven't any experience with chickens yet, will be moving next spring and then we'll get some, but there are lots of folks here who I'm sure can point you in the right direction!

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri. Use the search part of this forum, most of your questions can be answered from that. Good luck and have fun. There is tons of information.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG] !! Good luck getting your chickens! [​IMG]

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] From Syracuse, NY and yes raising chickens is fun. Molting is when chickens lose their old feathers and grow new ones. Now If you'd like more information you should check your local public library. Search under chickens and poultry. There are also a number of good web sites. You can get lots of ideas on coops and feeding right here at BYC. But I would check your public library first. If you have a book store there are magazines such as Back Yard Poultry, that have lots of information too.

Wishing you the best and looking forward to hearing more from you

Rancher Hicks

7. WannabeChickenOwner

WannabeChickenOwner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010

8. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG]
    You will love the chickens! They are so much fun! I made a powerpoint presentation to convince my parents to let me get chickens. You might want to try that...

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Good advice given. Good luck. [​IMG]

10. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC! It's amazing how much information you can find on the forums here and on the BYC home site - I'm sure you will soon find out all the information you need to convince your family that a breakfast providing pet is at least as good as one that eats your slippers, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by