Hello, New Member with question

Alright and
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you onboard with us
frow.gif

Sounds normal to me as this is just part of their normal instincts
jumpy.gif

Excuse me, Big Time Chicken Guy, your profile picture is the same breed I have that has gone broody. Can I ask a few more questions about the care you may or may not provide? I have noticed my chicken is the runt of the six and she picks at her feet feathers, so they have never come in full and pretty. Any issues there you can share? She also looks so dirty and dingy. I have washed her feet and a few of her feathers, but nothing seems to brighten her up. Believe it or not she doesn't have an issue with a blow dryer, go figure. I don't make it a habit to wash my chickens, just tried it see if I could clean her up. My coop is fairly clean and she gets to free range at least twice a day. Thank you for sharing in advance.

Welcome to BYC! I have a hen who is persistently broody no matter what time of year it is, I either break her of being broody or break down and give her some eggs to hatch :)

welcome-byc.gif
you are right Michigan + winter is not the time for raising chicks. I've lived in Chicago or suburbs all my life, and this year seems to be the one with the most highs below 0 and worst wind chills. If I were a chicken I would hibernate in the coop till spring (if it ever arrives).

At least you know you do have a broody and she will do it again hopefully in warmer weather so you have time to decide if you would like to utilize her. For instance you could get fertile eggs of some breeds you are eager to experience. Mama won't care and any chicks will be considered hers no matter what they look like. Broodies make the very best incubators.

Great article thanks for sharing. I have been letting her sit on eggs only because I think it keeps her warmer during this spill of cold temps. She now has another hen sitting with her. I figure I will break once the temperatures start to get above 20 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom