Hello, new member

Willow2253

Crowing
Dec 6, 2019
Eastern Oregon
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm fairly new, my family started our flock about a year and a half ago. My only experience before that was when my class hatched chicks in elementary school, or when our neighbor's chickens got over the fence into our yard. However, my mom grew up raising chickens and other fowl.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
9 hens and a rooster, though we're planning on doubling or tripling our numbers in the spring.
(3) What breeds do you have?
The rooster is a Japanese black bantam, 2 gold laced wyandottes, 3 silver laced wyandottes, 2 Rhode Island reds, 1 australorp, and 1 that we're not sure who the mother is, but the father is our rooster. She was hatched by one of the gold wyandottes, but she's all black, and we think the egg could have been laid by our australorp.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
We love the fresh eggs, and it's so much fun to interact with the chickens. We also love having animals around and the chickens are just a new experience in that realm.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Sewing, painting, wood burning. I'm also into camping, kayaking, bird watching, and other outdoor activities.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live part time at my mom's, where our flock is. We have 2 dogs as well, a shih tzu/jack russle mix and a border collie. Part of the year I work as a camp counselor, and I am attending college. We live in eastern Oregon and have our chickens free range on a small homestead. My college is in the Portland area.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC while doing some research as to where we could get more birds and hatching eggs locally. I thought it would be fun and help me to be more successful in my chicken endeavors to join this community.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm fairly new, my family started our flock about a year and a half ago. My only experience before that was when my class hatched chicks in elementary school, or when our neighbor's chickens got over the fence into our yard. However, my mom grew up raising chickens and other fowl.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
9 hens and a rooster, though we're planning on doubling or tripling our numbers in the spring.
(3) What breeds do you have?
The rooster is a Japanese black bantam, 2 gold laced wyandottes, 3 silver laced wyandottes, 2 Rhode Island reds, 1 australorp, and 1 that we're not sure who the mother is, but the father is our rooster. She was hatched by one of the gold wyandottes, but she's all black, and we think the egg could have been laid by our australorp.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
We love the fresh eggs, and it's so much fun to interact with the chickens. We also love having animals around and the chickens are just a new experience in that realm.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Sewing, painting, wood burning. I'm also into camping, kayaking, bird watching, and other outdoor activities.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live part time at my mom's, where our flock is. We have 2 dogs as well, a shih tzu/jack russle mix and a border collie. Part of the year I work as a camp counselor, and I am attending college. We live in eastern Oregon and have our chickens free range on a small homestead. My college is in the Portland area.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC while doing some research as to where we could get more birds and hatching eggs locally. I thought it would be fun and help me to be more successful in my chicken endeavors to join this community.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

:frowHello Willow!!!
:welcome Welcome to the BYC family!
:loveI surely do love to look at pictures of others flock & stock! Photos are welcome & highly encouraged by all of us "BackYard" people.
:popI'm waiting......

2019-12-05_23.14.24.jpg
20191121_184950.jpg

Back
Top Bottom