Hello! New to chicken-raising!

beilka

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
Hi everyone! I am a new chicken-raiser (is there a name for us?) and live in inner-city New Orleans where the neighborhoods traditionally have wild/feral chickens roaming free. In our wild group, we currently have a Rooster (Roux Roux), 3 juvenile roosters that are starting to make waves, one juvenile hen, two black hens and one brown hen. One of the black hens recently had 7 babies, 6 of which survived long enough for us to capture the group so we now have momma and babies in a coop. There aren't a lot of resources available I've noticed for this out-of-the-box way of acquiring backyard chickens. My friend who raises normal backyard hens directed me to this website for advice!

We live on 5 lots in the city, and our wild chicken group roost in our large live oak tree on the property and graze/forage in our yard during the day. I have had to contstuct all kinds of barricades around my vegetables to deter them from digging them all up! But its ok, we love our chickens! He have 3 big dogs that mostly ignore them, and a new group of feral kittens we are attempting to catch and re-release after being fixed. Needless to say...our house is a little farm! And that doesn't even include our 4 indoor cats, turtle (Archie), 2 fish tanks and a rambunctious 18 month old!

We have our hand full but we are excited about the prospect of raising these chicks as our own. We currently have them in a small commercially-built coop that was given to us from a friend, and that is inside one of those fence kennels like you would use for a large dog. Our plans are to put a roof on the kennel and chicken wire around the bottom to no-one can get out (or in!).

Please lend your advice. Anyone else out there trying to raise wild chickies? Would love to have some input and thank everyone for their advice!

1618092905314.png

I have a turtle, too. He's 39 years old. Eastern Box turtle that was given to me on my wedding day.

Way, way, way back in the day - my older sister sent a dollar to get a turtle. It came in a tiny carboard box in the mail. Of course it was DOA(unless they had sent a dead one to begin with.) She took it better than I did, I cried a river. I do think she gave it a respectable funeral and burial.

Back
Top Bottom