Hello! New to the site and have a question about a limping hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smcdaniel, Mar 6, 2015.

1. smcdaniel

smcdaniel New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    I'm sorry if someone has answered this already, but I can't find it. My favorite (of course!) hen (a 7 month old Dominique) has been limping for nearly 2 weeks now. At first, she really didn't want to put any weight on her left foot at all, though I could find nothing wrong with her leg. I immediately put her in a large dog crate in the garage with our bantam Leghorn for company.
    She's gotten a little better every day, for the last week or so she is practically running on it, but when she walks it's like her left leg is longer than her right. So she has this really up-and-down gait. She is acting completely normally except for this; laying eggs, eating, drinking, cuddling, everything.
    Has anyone seen this before? We've felt the leg and foot, nothing seems broken, no bumble foot, nothing that we can find. At this point, I think I need to bind her leg up to her body, but I don't think that will help if it's dislocated. I'd be grateful for any advice.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome to BYC.

Sorry, I have no ideas on what is wrong with your chicken. Would suggest you post under emergency forum to get experienced input.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your hen is OK.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I would definitely post in the Emergencies section. I hope your hen turns out all right![​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I hope your hen is okay. [​IMG]

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    At that age I would hazard a guess at Marek's disease. It is very common and easy to catch and affects young birds with outbreaks often occurring at times of stress... perhaps when they are reaching point of lay or in my case I had too many juvenile cockerels running about terrorising the hens. I currently have two pullets lame with it. One completely recovered from the first attack 3 months ago but had a second episode where the paralysis was much worse in the last few weeks. She is however much improved and is walking again in the past few days although she is still limping. The other gave up trying to walk and has been happily hopping for the past 4 months and is very agile with it. I had two cockerels also develop lameness with it and fully recover in a matter of 1-2 weeks and a pullet that sadly got rapidly and progressively worse and unfortunately I had to cull her.

I hope you only have the one casualty and she continues to improve. If it is Marek's, there is no recognised treatment, although one forum member was trying human Anti viral meds as it is a herpes type virus. I tried turmeric and black pepper, but the bird got tired of eating it after a while and I decided nutrition without treatment was better than not eating food that was treated. St John's Wort is another remedy that may help. I'm finding that if I can get them out in the sunshine they are noticeably better the following day. Unfortunately I can't get sunshine on regular prescription!

Good luck with your girl. I found that mine take a few weeks to adapt to their disability and find the best way to compensate. I tried making splints and boots with polystyrene and tape but I have learned that they are best left to work it out for themselves. If the lameness persists you will need to keep an eye on their toenails and perhaps trim them on a regular basis as they don't get worn down quite as much as when they are able bodied.

Regards

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your chicken![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If your bird is doing fine otherwise I would overlook the limp. I have one leg slightly longer than another - which makes it tricky when hemming pants. People aren't perfect - if you divide a photo in half, you will often see discrepancies between one side and the other. Sometimes one ear is higher or shaped a bit differently , lips can turn up at one side and down at the other. If doesn't alter their health at all. This may be how your bird is.

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by